[HELP] S4 Broken Screen - Using HDMI and USB Mouse simultaneously?

TylerPT

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
[HELP] S4 Broken Screen - Using HDMI and USB Mouse simultaneously

Hello,

As the title says, my S4 screen recently died after falling to the ground. Before considering the chance of having it fixed at a specialized shop, I want to retrieve the data from the phone.
Sadly the phone is pattern-locked and until I unlock it I can't access the data when I connect it to my PC. The screen is essentially dead. The image is totally black and the touch sensor is unresponsive, but other than that the phone works and receives notifications and so on.

USB Debugging mode isn't active on the phone and thus I can't replicate the screen of the phone on my PC through software alone, when I connect it via micro-USB. I also didn't think of this problem in advance and I'm not registered on Samsung's FindMyMobile or any similar apps. Samsung Kies also doesn't work because the phone needs to be unlocked.

I tried using a HDMI-MHL Adapter and I confirmed that the phone is indeed working because I'm able to get the phone screen's image on my TV. The problem is I can't actually interact with the phone because as I said earlier the touch sensor is not working.
The HDMI-MHL Adapter I've used also seems to have a micro-USB port but that seems to work for power only. If I connect a USB-OTG cable on it and connect a USB mouse to it I get image but no mouse.
If I connect the USB-OTG and the mouse, alone, I get a mouse cursor but I can't see what I'm doing (phone vibrates as I 'try' and draw the unlock-pattern blindly).

I've heard of some alternatives that allow me to use HDMI and a USB Mouse at the same time, namely:
- Samsung Smart Dock:
- 5-in-1 MHL Adapters

I'm not sure that these devices allow me to use both mouse and image simultaneously. I believe the S4 has a 11-pin MHL specification. Does this mean that the micro-USB connection of the S4 allows this?

TLDR: S4 screen is dead, I wanna connect my S4 to my TV via HDMI and use a mouse at the same time to control my phone. I'm unsure the alternatives actually power both these devices simultaneously, I've heard otherwise. Help please?

secrotty

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
Did you ever get an answer to your (nicely worded) question? I too have a similar problem: dead screen & digitizer but otherwise alive Galaxy s5 that I'd like to connect to.

Danny Padilla

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
I have the same issue. I have been using the Kasonic MHL HDMI adapter and I've run into the exact same problem. Based on the order I plug each device to the adapter I can get the phone screen to show on my TV (plug in power 1st, then HDMI, then phone) or I can get the mouse to work but nothing on my screen (plug in power 1st, then USB mouse, then phone). However, I've been unable to get HDMI and mouse to work simultaneously though no matter what I order I plug them to the adapter.

If you found a solution please post it...or anyone with any other possible solution.

Meeeric1

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Re: [HELP] S4 Broken Screen - Using HDMI and USB Mouse simultaneously

How can I do the screen replicating thing you mentioned with USB debugging turned on? My s4 screen also broke, but it had ADB turned on

Voyt

Jun 13, 2017
Visit site
Hello, I have same problem with my Samsung S5. Broken screen, no usb debugging on and locked phone with pattern. I bought these adapters (5in1 MHL To HDMI HDTV Adapter OTG Card Reader For Samsung Galaxy S3 S4 S5 NOTE3 | eBay) where you can connect phone to tv and connect the mouse butboth these items do not work together. I can either connect phone screen to tv and then mouse do not work, or connect mouse and see the light on mouse but only when hdmi is disconnected. Has anyone found any solution how to access phone in such situation? I would really appreciate any help.Thanks!