Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Long time lurker and decided to join.
So I received my HTC M8 (VZW) yesterday after purchasing it off eBay so that I could keep my unlimited data.
It came in with about 50% battery. I noticed the phone was getting really hot but I chalked that up to the aluminum back.
But the issue came when I went to go charge it, it would only move about 1% in 2 hours. I shut it off and let it charge over night and when I turned it on this morning I only had 45% battery (went to bed with 30% with roughly 7 hours in between)
I let it charge all morning and it wouldn't budge. And it seems to stay at 46%
Did a factory reset (twice) and still didn't help.
Did the soft reset and went into the loader menu thing and did the restore function. Worked a little bit.
Even drained the battery completely and let it charge but that didn't help.
When the phones off sometimes the battery symbol gets a red exclamation point in it.
And when its charging sometimes the led is solid orange and sometimes it blinks orange.
I'm using the cable that came with it and even tried other cables with the same results.
Also Gsam says the battery's running at 123°.
Any suggestions? Should I return it to the seller (already contacted him and he said his "techs" tested the battery and everything) or try and contact HTC about it? Any help is appreciated.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Sounds to me like the battery is defective. Doesn't matter what the tech said, that isn't normal operation for this phone (as im sure you're aware) and you deserve to have a working one. It's possible the battery was damaged in transit.

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I figured as much. Before I return it I'm going to contact HTC and see if they'll do anything (to reduce the amount of time I'm without a phone) and if not its going back. And I'm going back to the Moto X (had it, broke it, decided to get the m8)

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
It will be under their standard one year warranty, you may get away with paying for an advanced replacement. The defective battery could possibly be deemed damage caused by the user and NOT covered under warranty, so be careful with that because with an advanced replacement you have no say with what to do with the phone after they receive it, they will just charge you for the damage not covered under warranty.

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Yeah that's what Motorola was going to have me do when I cracked I screen on my moto x (it was literally just in my front pocket and I sat down and went to pull my phone out and boom screen was broken)
Well I figured it couldn't hurt to try and get it replaced. And too be honest I actually liked the moto x better. I believe there is such a thing as TOO big of a phone and the m8 is pushing it for me. (But that's for a different thread on a different day)

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
The moto x is a nice phone. I had concerns about the height of the m8 at first but I have gotten over that. It's a good phone once you get the battery issue fixed. Definitely wouldn't go much bigger than this thing though. 5 inch screen makes me perfectly content.

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I'm slowly getting used to it. But the good news is I charged it last night and it got up to about 75% and that's where it topped out. And as soon as I unplugged it, it dropped to 73. It's actually losing battery when I charge it in my car.
I'm going to see how the battery does at work today (screen turned down to one bar, Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/GPS turned off)
Still waiting to hear back from HTC.
Thanks for the help!

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
So some very good news.
I just got off the phone with HTC and they are going to exchange them. Seeing as I told them everything plus today whenever the phone was in my pocket it would just randomly shut off. They said since I did a factory reset there was nothing else to do besides send it out.
Only thing I'm worried about is that there's scratches on the back (pretty deep ones) so I might get charged for those.

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
So some very good news.
I just got off the phone with HTC and they are going to exchange them. Seeing as I told them everything plus today whenever the phone was in my pocket it would just randomly shut off. They said since I did a factory reset there was nothing else to do besides send it out.
Only thing I'm worried about is that there's scratches on the back (pretty deep ones) so I might get charged for those.

I hope this all works out for you. That phone definitely sounds like it has a defective battery. You want your HTC One M8 to be perfect because these phones really are that awesome.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad