Here are the Major Note 7 Alternatives (sorry, none of them are exactly like the Note 7)

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
I WAS leaning towards the S7e vs. LG V20 mainly due to the camera on S7e which = GN7 camera & is superb for a phone.

But today I had problems with my GN7 freezing & other things so, I'm leaning towards LG.
I will start a thread on this.

"Did Samsung or Verizon brick my Note 7?"

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I WAS leaning towards the S7e vs. LG V20 mainly due to the camera on S7e which = GN7 camera & is superb for a phone.

But today I had problems with my GN7 freezing & other things so, I'm leaning towards LG.
I will start a thread on this.

"Did Samsung or Verizon brick my Note 7?"
My Note 7 is still working fine.

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
I had issues with Smart Switch too but what I found is if you go into the menu and reinstall the USB driver it should fix it. Hope this helps ������.
Followed your suggestion & reinstalled USB driver. Still hangs @ 86% & sometimes eventually finishes the backup & sometimes must try it a couple times or more. Hate Smart Switch. Leaning toward LG now. Especially with the issues with GN7 (Not catching fire!) that I've had past 2 days. Detailed in my thread: "Did Samsung or Verizon brick my Note 7?"

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
I've had the LG V20 for over 24 hours now. It sucks. The front facing camera is all grainy and just terrible! Can't believe people even compared it to the Note 7 camera. The phone itself is medicore. I'm going to return it for a One Plus 3 to hold me over till next August for the Note 8. All of this is so screwed up. And I think the exhcnage program someone borught up earlier is only going on in Korea!

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I think the iPhone 7 plus is an excellent alternative to the Note 7.

Apple thoughtfully provided a massive lower bezel to place Post-Its thus removing the need for the S pen.

Nyt1

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
Like most people on this forum, I was down between the Pixel XL and the V20. After reading some posts on this specific thread I chose the V20 (it seems most people seemed to be disappointed by the Pixel's lack of expandable storage and removable battery, as was I).

I've now had the V20 for over 24 hours and I am very disappointed. My biggest issues with the V20 that may help those who are considering switching from Note 7:
  • It is much bulkier and sensibly heavier than the Note 7 making it more difficult to hold..yet it appears that the screen is smaller (with the docked buttons taking up way too much space)
  • The battery so far seems to be worse than the Note 7, but it's still early
  • The fingerprint sensor only works on the back of the home button...Most times at work I have the phone facing up on my desk and I don't want to have to lift it up to unlock it from the back.
  • The camera doesn't even come close to the Note 7!!
  • It's a lot uglier than the Note 7 - I say this even though I always put function over form, but coming from the Note 7 this phone is just really ugly. I can't even look at it sometimes :(
  • It's not water resistant

GRANTED, I am comparing the V20 to the Note 7 (which turned out was the best phone I ever had although not without its faults), but I still have never been less excited to have a new phone. I think that if Galaxy s7 edge had been available at the store, I would have gone for the s7 edge instead.

Therefore, if folks would find my above complaints deal-breakers, then I would not recommend switching to the V20.

Instead I am sucking it up and waiting for the next phone to come out and use tmobile Jump on Demand. Until then I will try to give the V20 a try; I'm sure it has lots of capabilities that I am unaware of. Otherwise, I have no idea why anyone would ever buy it.

timmo

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Like most people on this forum, I was down between the Pixel XL and the V20. After reading some posts on this specific thread I chose the V20 (it seems most people seemed to be disappointed by the Pixel's lack of expandable storage and removable battery, as was I).

I've now had the V20 for over 24 hours and I am very disappointed. My biggest issues with the V20 that may help those who are considering switching from Note 7:
  • It is much bulkier and sensibly heavier than the Note 7 making it more difficult to hold..yet it appears that the screen is smaller (with the docked buttons taking up way too much space)
  • The battery so far seems to be worse than the Note 7, but it's still early
  • The fingerprint sensor only works on the back of the home button...Most times at work I have the phone facing up on my desk and I don't want to have to lift it up to unlock it from the back.
  • The camera doesn't even come close to the Note 7!!
  • It's a lot uglier than the Note 7 - I say this even though I always put function over form, but coming from the Note 7 this phone is just really ugly. I can't even look at it sometimes :(
  • It's not water resistant

GRANTED, I am comparing the V20 to the Note 7 (which turned out was the best phone I ever had although not without its faults), but I still have never been less excited to have a new phone. I think that if Galaxy s7 edge had been available at the store, I would have gone for the s7 edge instead.

Therefore, if folks would find my above complaints deal-breakers, then I would not recommend switching to the V20.

Instead I am sucking it up and waiting for the next phone to come out and use tmobile Jump on Demand. Until then I will try to give the V20 a try; I'm sure it has lots of capabilities that I am unaware of. Otherwise, I have no idea why anyone would ever buy it.
Make sure you have the double-tap on screen to wake option turned on. This makes up for the fingerprint sensor being on bottom of phone. The Note 7 was the best phone ever...but learning to like the V20.

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The best and closest experience to the Note 7 is the S7E. The other phones out there I looked at, IMO, just are missing too much and have too many compromises - such as no SD, no wireless charging, no edge screen (Pixel), not as good screen or camera, smaller battery, and a lot bigger (V20), etc.
I do miss the S-pen, usb-c and a few other things from my Note 7 on the S7E, but I got the same color (titanium), same case, using same Samsung themes and wallpapers and icons (Nova launcher), same Edge apps, same always on display, and can still use my Samsung wireless pad, etc and it now pretty much looks almost exactly like my N7 now and will hold me over best til the S8/N8 come out. And with Samsung supposedly going to offer N7 users sticking with Samsung an opportunity to get the next S8/N8 at some sort of deal, it makes a lot of sense, IMO.

timmo

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I would have got S7E if it had 64gb of storage. SD card is a no go for me, so I picked my poison with V20. It's definitely bigger and not as easy to operate with 1 hand, but I like it. I'm sure I'll go back to Note 8 for all the reasons you mention above. All top end android phones should offer more storage options like the iPhone...

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I would have got S7E if it had 64gb of storage. SD card is a no go for me, so I picked my poison with V20. It's definitely bigger and not as easy to operate with 1 hand, but I like it. I'm sure I'll go back to Note 8 for all the reasons you mention above. All top end android phones should offer more storage options like the iPhone...

S7E is a 32gb phone. They gave me a 64GB Sd card when I bought it several months back.
its a Great phone.
My OL uses it everyday.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I left Samsung after when they stopped doing removable batteries and my replacement Note Edge started freezing and crashing again. Had the LG V10 now on LG V20.