Hey Google doesn't recognise my voice, but Google assistant app does

tunstals

Nov 4, 2022
Visit site
I have an Mi 10T Lite Android phone running MIUI 13.0.11.

When I say "Hey Google" the app responds and I see activity on the coloured bar at the bottom of my screen while I talk, but it does not recognise what I say first time round.

If I press the small keyboard icon at the bottom right, then the microphone icon and repeat what I said, it recognises me just fine.

I have no such problems with Google assistant, which recognises me fine from app start.

I have tried deleting voice match settings to no avail.

How can I reset "Hey Google" so that after it starts and shows the colour bars, it recognises what I say?

I have to say, Xiomi have installed a lot of apps I don't use, and I can't remove them.

tunstals

Nov 4, 2022
Visit site
Hello, I've registered now. I did install the Google assistant app after I found the "hey Google" wasn't working. I thought that might offer additional options to configure speech recognition.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello, I've registered now. I did install the Google assistant app after I found the "hey Google" wasn't working. I thought that might offer additional options to configure speech recognition.
Hi welcome to AC! Change you to post owner
I havnt used that app in years since all my devices come preinstall Google assistant.

Usually when u have issues with built in assistance you can clear goggle app Data then force stop it or uninstall the update.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

Hey Google, Google Assistant and Google Now are all rolled into one these days and are simply known as Google Assistant. They stopped being their own apps several OSs ago.

In the meantime, what keyboard are you using? While a good majority of keyboards use Google's Speech to Text Text to Speech not all do. Samsung for instance uses its own STT engine and Swiftkey uses Microsoft's. This means there is a possibility that Google is the problem depending on which keyboard you're using since it works with your keyboard but not as a stand alone.

It is interesting that it recognizes your voice to wake up but then immediately stops working. I can try to help you troubleshoot this.

First install GBoard from the Play Store if you're not already using it. Then follow the directions to make it your default keyboard. If you don't like it we can address that after we get things working but for trialing purposes let's make everything Google. After installation and making it the default please try to use Assistant.

If that didn't work let's take Microphone permission away from all apps. In your Settings menu follow this path or type Permission in the search bar and look for Permission Manager in the list. Settings>Applications>upper right corner 3 dots>Permission Manager>Microphone>remove all apps that will allow themselves to be removed. I've found some apps will not allow permissions to be taken away but that should not apply to any that may be causing this issue, well hopefully. This is not a permanent change and any apps needing this permission will ask for it again when the app runs again. It will be like the first time. Then try to use Assistant.

Let us know what you find and we can go from there.

tunstals

Nov 4, 2022
Visit site
Hi VidJunky,

Thank you for your reply. My apologies for replying so late.

On my Xiami I have gone to Permission Manager, selected MicroPhone, and for every app that had permissions (Ask me each time, mostly) I have set them to "Don't allow".

I then started assistant and started speaking as soon as the UI appeared.

For approx 2-3 seconds the coloured bar at the bottom of the screen did not react to my voice, but if I kept talking it would come to recognise what I was currently saying (it did not remember what I said at the start when Assistant first loaded).

"Hey Google" is still not working.

tunstals

Nov 4, 2022
Visit site
OK, "Hey Google" now starts the app, but I still have to wait ~5 secs after the coloured bars appear for subsequent speech to be recognised. Any speech before that is not parsed.

Bit stumped with this one.

If this was Windows I'd do a reset, but I have so much stuff on my phone - important apps incl. auth - that I would rather not do the Android equivalent.