Hi Androids !

Sufonaut

Oct 4, 2023
Visit site
Oh, that was quick, Kizzy !
I have apps (some games) that disappear after rebooting Lenovo Tablet M10 3rd Gen with android 12.
There is an SD Card Samsung Evo Select micro XC 128 GB, which I have formatted as internal, so I could extend the internal 32 GB of the talblet.
I can still see the folders of these games if I navigate to the SD card and there into "android/data"
Seems that this issue is very rare to be found, did a lot of googling with no luck and then tried in other forums (android, lenovo, minecraft, as minecraft is also affected) no one could help there yet.

I already tried formatting the SD card again as internal and just installing one of the affected games (minecraft pe) ... but it did not help, issue persists.

I can see that the regarded apps/games are installed on the SD-card (looking under there app info in settings)
I can also play these games once they are installed, but after a reboot of the tablet these games/apps would be greyed out on the home screen and do not appear on the app overview page and do also not appear under "apps & notifications" in the settings. Still I can see the folders of these apps/games on the SD-Card when using a 3rd party filer, like "total commander".

Not sure though how to start an app or game from the filer, is this possible? Could not identify any executable file there.

I googled further and found this old post in your forum:
which seems to be the exact same issue.

Unfortunately the solution there was only a workaround, using a different 3rd party launcher. I then tried Niagara, but this does also not see the regarded apps.

Would appreciate your help.

Ah and btw. I have twins (7 yo) they are both using the same type of tablet with the same type of sd card and both have the same issue, just not always the exact same apps are affected. I.e. On one of the tablets minecraft works after restart, on the other it does not.

cheers
Daniel

Sufonaut

Oct 4, 2023
Visit site
Before I forget.

The SD-card is generally working it seems, as it is listed with its name under settings/memory.
And it has other games / apps installed on it, which do not disappear after reboot and are working just fine.

So maybe it is about size of these Apps, or the order of loading their paths when the launcher kicks in ?
Or the path to these games gets corrupted for some reason on reboot ?
Is there a way to restart just the launcher (called One UI on Android 12, I believe) so that it might retry to get the paths of these apps ?

Another detail ... when rebooting the Tablet, you can see a short message "sd card is missing" just for a second, but the message disappears very quickly and it seems it finally detects the SD-card, as I can use other apps and games that are on it. So it might be really a timing issue between Launcher and SD-card initialization ?

Still wonder why this would be, this is not a slow card, and the issue happens on both tablets (see above I have twins 👬) .

cheers
Daniel

Last edited:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome. :)

In the days when I used Adoptable Storage, I found that apps stored on the SD card did indeed sometimes disappear. That was in spite of using a high-quality card. It’s not a good - though it may be the only - solution to the problem of insufficient storage. Even if it works well enough, there is the risk of failure of the card.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Sufonaut

Oct 4, 2023
Visit site
Hi belodion!
Thanks for the comment. So you mean I simply have to live with it ? Please no.

I doubt that there is no logical explanation and root cause for the issue.

Especially as I see it happening with two almost identically equipped tablets and as it happens with the same Games/Apps with very few exceptions.

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Adoptable Storage has always been somewhat unreliable. Sometimes it has to do with the SD card, since the quality and integrity of the card can affect performance and possibly lead to crashes (this is specifically true of counterfeit cards, which remain a real risk in today's open market). Other times it has to do with wonky implementation of the feature -- I recall frequent posts about problems on Moto phones a few years ago from people trying to use Adoptable Storage, which made me wonder if Moto had done something wrong with how it's coded.

Where did you purchase your SD card? If it was from a random online seller or some kind of marketplace (and not a well-known retailer like Best Buy), the chance of a counterfeit card goes up. Counterfeit cards are programmed to report much higher storage than they actually have, and when more data is stored on it than it can actually hold, various problems can occur. Have you tried with another SD card, preferably one you know was purchased from a reliable retailer?

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
In addition formatting as internal causes integrity issues as they are not designed to be written to and read as often as is needed to act as an internal hard drive. If you are using an SD as internal storage I would not add apps to it. If possible reformat the card as external storage and install apps internally. Use the SD card for photos and videos and other files of that type. I think you have found that using SD as internal is unlikely to work on your particular device. Google stopped allowing SD to be used as internal storage quite a few versions of android ago due to this precise issue. It really isn't a good solution to your problem but appears to be the only real one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174