Hi, Please Help Me Run a Laptop in my car, with Internet

AndroidAndy417

Nov 23, 2022
Visit site
Hi, I'm a brand-new member, and this is my first post. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a Lenovo Windows 10 Laptop. My wife and I frequently take 500-mile drives (each direction) to take care of her aging parents. I would love to adapt our vehicle so that I could run my laptop in the car during these long drives, to work on my company website and communicate with customers. Many of the business apps I use do not have full functionality via Android.

I know I can easily acquire a DC 12V to AC 110 converter for power. What other equipment would I need to run this? From what I've read, there's a way to turn my Android phone (LG Stylo 5) into a WiFi hotspot, then connect the laptop to that hotspot.

I'd be very grateful for instructions to accomplish this, either fron a link here in this Forum, or perhaps a YouTube video. We're facing another one of these endless drives (both directions) this Thanksgiving weekend, and I lose so much productivity during these lengthy commutes.

Again, thanks in advance for your help and expertise,

Andy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Here's how to set up your mobile hotspot: https://www.hardreset.info/devices/lg/lg-stylo-5/portable-hotspot/. After it's set up, there is usually a quick setting toggle you can use to turn it on and off easily (in the swipedown panel).

Be aware that in order to use your hotspot, it has to be a feature of your wireless carrier's plan. Most plans do include it, but some carriers require an extra fee. And if it is included, most carriers limit how much data you can use on the hotspot per month.

AndroidAndy417

Nov 23, 2022
Visit site
Thanks so much. We're with Cricket, and I believe they share towers with AT&T. Does anyone happen to know whether Cricket offers this?

Thanks Again,
Andy

AndroidAndy417

Nov 23, 2022
Visit site
I answered my own question. Yes, Cricket does offer it.

What are the Requirements for a Mobile Hotspot?
To use Mobile Hotspot you'll need an eligible phone and:

The current Cricket Core plan ($55/mo unlimited plan) or an eligible grandfathered plan + the Mobile Hotspot feature added to your rate plan; or
The Cricket More plan ($60/mo unlimited plan), which includes an allotment of Mobile Hotspot data
View our Mobile Hotspot eligible phones

https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/mobile-wifi/mobile-hotspot.html

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Something else to consider with the phone hotspot is carriers may limit the bandwidth for tethering. My current Verizon plan does this, which may as well be on a 56k dial up modem. They offer faster hotspot tethering with their more expensive plans, so this is something else to look into with your carrier.

Depending on budget and bandwidth needs, getting a dedicated hotspot device may be worth looking into. It's basically a little puck like device that has its own mobile data line and broadcasts a Wi-Fi signal.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
How about something like this: https://www.amazon.com/ZTE-MF833V-C...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU7119053

If the Amazon page is accurate with it's description, you should be able to use a SIM card in this and it acts as a cell receiver.

This is how I would suggest to proceed: Buy the device, and use your own SIM to test it. If it works, (and this is me personally) I would buy a full unlimited plan for another SIM card (basically getting another line) and using this setup. If it doesn't work like I think it supposed to, return it, and you are out a couple weeks.

To be clear: Not that there is anything wrong with connecting via HotSpot, but I am assuming the worst that you may need more data in a given month than even some of he most generous HotSpot plans may allow. My idea bypasses limitations like data caps, or speed caps after a certain data threshold is reached.

If you do choose to go this route, I would use a USB 3.0 port, for the data throughput.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I answered my own question. Yes, Cricket does offer it.

What are the Requirements for a Mobile Hotspot?
To use Mobile Hotspot you'll need an eligible phone and:

The current Cricket Core plan ($55/mo unlimited plan) or an eligible grandfathered plan + the Mobile Hotspot feature added to your rate plan; or
The Cricket More plan ($60/mo unlimited plan), which includes an allotment of Mobile Hotspot data
View our Mobile Hotspot eligible phones

https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/mobile-wifi/mobile-hotspot.html

I gave an answer above, but I didn't quote you to get your attention.