Hidden files lost during transfer?

Aug 7, 2022
Visit site
I use a Samsung Galaxy A42 5G and was transferring my SD card files to internal memory because I was replacing the SD card with a larger one. I simply told the SD to move all the files to a new folder I created on the phone. Somehow, the SD folders all would up in my phone's secure folder, but I didn't see my one hidden folder from the SD card. I made sure my file program was looking at hidden files, but it seemed to be nowhere. I went back to my SD card, and nothing was on it, and I did have "show hidden files" on there, too.

So, were these lost in transit? Did they never move to the phone? I've tried several recovery programs on the SD card, ones I know have worked before, but they say there is nothing to recover.

Is it possible they did move to my phone, but even in "show hidden files" mode, I can't see them? While it would be nice to still have these files, if I don't, then I don't, but I'd at least like to know definitively that they aren't still hiding somewhere on my phone.

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Have you tried to simply reboot your phone after you moved the files? Sometimes that fixes things. What app are you using? you say that the files ended up in your secure folder? Is that the destination you chose when you moved them over? Could you please explain which app you used and the process you used to move them over.

Aug 7, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to AC!

Did you look in secure folder ?
Thanks!

I have my file manager set to see hidden files, but there's no actual folder with the label "secure folder" to view in the file manager. When I look in the secure folder (program by Knox that came pre-loaded), I don't see any hidden files. I was hoping there'd be a way to set it to see hidden files within the secure folder. I'm assuming it either does this automatically and it's not there, or there's no setting in that program, and I don't know how to be sure it's not there.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks!

I have my file manager set to see hidden files, but there's no actual folder with the label "secure folder" to view in the file manager. When I look in the secure folder (program by Knox that came pre-loaded), I don't see any hidden files. I was hoping there'd be a way to set it to see hidden files within the secure folder. I'm assuming it either does this automatically and it's not there, or there's no setting in that program, and I don't know how to be sure it's not there.
Welcome

If u long press Secure Folder in pull down notifications panel and enter a PIN/password or biometric it has it own My files app there that's separate from My files on device

Aug 7, 2022
Visit site
Have you tried to simply reboot your phone after you moved the files? Sometimes that fixes things. What app are you using? you say that the files ended up in your secure folder? Is that the destination you chose when you moved them over? Could you please explain which app you used and the process you used to move them over.

I've rebooted several times. The secure folder is a Knox program that came pre-loaded, but I did not direct the transferred files there, although that's where they showed up. I directed them to a new folder I created to contain the SD contents until I inserted the new SD card and transferred them back from internal memory.

I used the file manager "move files to" function to move from the SD card to the new folder I created. That's when they showed up in the "secure folder" on my phone, except the hidden files.

Aug 7, 2022
Visit site
Well, when I go into my secure folder, there definitely is a version of the default "my files" app, iand it's showing me the files within the "secure folder," and it's set to show hidden files, but none are there.

I suspect that the hidden files never transferred, and I eliminated them from the SD card by reformatting it, because I thought they were now in the secure folder with the others. Bad assumption. If I had made sure, I could have still found them in the SD card, hidden. But restore programs usually find traces even after a format, and there were absolutely none.

I've looked every possible way I know within internal storage to try to find them, but nothing shows, even though all other folders were transferred. It's not a devastating loss, although I really wish I hadn't lost the files. I just want to know for sure they really aren't hiding on the phone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well, when I go into my secure folder, there definitely is a version of the default "my files" app, iand it's showing me the files within the "secure folder," and it's set to show hidden files, but none are there.

I suspect that the hidden files never transferred, and I eliminated them from the SD card by reformatting it, because I thought they were now in the secure folder with the others. Bad assumption. If I had made sure, I could have still found them in the SD card, hidden. But restore programs usually find traces even after a format, and there were absolutely none.

I've looked every possible way I know within internal storage to try to find them, but nothing shows, even though all other folders were transferred. It's not a devastating loss, although I really wish I hadn't lost the files. I just want to know for sure they really aren't hiding on the phone.
Check the trash in my files app both secure folder and regular my files app

Did you choose move or copy ?

Try totally Commander in Google play store see if you can see them with that file manager

Kanz14

Sep 25, 2022
Visit site
I use a Samsung Galaxy A42 5G and was transferring my SD card files to internal memory because I was replacing the SD card with a larger one. I simply told the SD to move all the files to a new folder I created on the phone. Somehow, the SD folders all would up in my phone's secure folder, but I didn't see my one hidden folder from the SD card. I made sure my file program was looking at hidden files, but it seemed to be nowhere. I went back to my SD card, and nothing was on it, and I did have "show hidden files" on there, too.

So, were these lost in transit? Did they never move to the phone? I've tried several recovery programs on the SD card, ones I know have worked before, but they say there is nothing to recover.

Is it possible they did move to my phone, but even in "show hidden files" mode, I can't see them? While it would be nice to still have these files, if I don't, then I don't, but I'd at least like to know definitively that they aren't still hiding somewhere on my phone.

I have had the exact same issue. And I haven't formatted or even used an SD card. I simply tried moving hidden filed from one folder to the secure folder. And can't see them anywhere now. I even tried it again, to duplicate the results, i.e. move another hidden file to secure folder to see if that also does not show up. And it didn't. Not sure why this is happening and I have run out of ideas as to how to view those files.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have had the exact same issue. And I haven't formatted or even used an SD card. I simply tried moving hidden filed from one folder to the secure folder. And can't see them anywhere now. I even tried it again, to duplicate the results, i.e. move another hidden file to secure folder to see if that also does not show up. And it didn't. Not sure why this is happening and I have run out of ideas as to how to view those files.
Welcome to AC!
Have you tried different file manager?