Honor 8 Report 8-24-2016: The Rise of USB-C (AMA)

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
The transition from microUSB to USB-C in the Android world has been a slow and, for some, a painful process. However, it is of no doubt that USB-C is the future, and hanging onto microUSB products will only make the process longer.

That being said, USB-C presents some interesting problems, because of it being touted as a "universal" port, which is not exactly true. Here's a look at some of the major problems having a so-called "universal" port can present, and how such problems could be remedied:

Charging
Different devices use different chargers, because they require different voltages, amperages, and watts of power to charge at an efficient rate (and also not explode or light on fire). Before, it was impossible to plug, let's say, a MacBook charger into a smartphone, simply because the two would not fit. But with the rise of USB-C, it becomes all too easy to absentmindedly plug your phone into your MacBook charger and leave it there all night, which may result in a rude awakening chemical battery explosion and house fire. One good way to avoid such situations is to truly make USB-C chargers universal, that is, have the charger detect the optimum voltage, wattage, and amperage that the device it is plugged in to needs, and adjust to it. However, this would require great coordination between major players in the industry, not to mention it would most likely result in a price increase on the already overpriced chargers.

Data Transfer Disappointments
USB-C is widely praised for its high speeds for data transfer, but this not-always-true advertising can lead to some disappointing situations. A prime example is the Honor 8 itself, which has a USB-C port, but only USB 2.0 data transfer speeds. This can be misleading to many customers, who mistakenly associate USB-C with high speeds. The remedy for this? Simple: just like how USB 1.1 is just not used anymore, we have to wait for USB 2.0 to be slowly phased out.

USB-C does have its flaws, but it is definitely the direction that the industry Is heading in, and no matter which way you plug it in look at it, USB-C is going to work.

What do you think of USB-C? Have any questions? Voice your opinion in the comments below!

Happy Androiding!

-Lumi Valo

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The transition from microUSB to USB-C in the Android world has been a slow and, for some, a painful process. However, it is of no doubt that USB-C is the future, and hanging onto microUSB products will only make the process longer.

That being said, USB-C presents some interesting problems, because of it being touted as a "universal" port, which is not exactly true. Here's a look at some of the major problems having a so-called "universal" port can present, and how such problems could be remedied:

Charging
Different devices use different chargers, because they require different voltages, amperages, and watts of power to charge at an efficient rate (and also not explode or light on fire). Before, it was impossible to plug, let's say, a MacBook charger into a smartphone, simply because the two would not fit. But with the rise of USB-C, it becomes all too easy to absentmindedly plug your phone into your MacBook charger and leave it there all night, which may result in a rude awakening chemical battery explosion and house fire. One good way to avoid such situations is to truly make USB-C chargers universal, that is, have the charger detect the optimum voltage, wattage, and amperage that the device it is plugged in to needs, and adjust to it. However, this would require great coordination between major players in the industry, not to mention it would most likely result in a price increase on the already overpriced chargers.

Data Transfer Disappointments
USB-C is widely praised for its high speeds for data transfer, but this not-always-true advertising can lead to some disappointing situations. A prime example is the Honor 8 itself, which has a USB-C port, but only USB 2.0 data transfer speeds. This can be misleading to many customers, who mistakenly associate USB-C with high speeds. The remedy for this? Simple: just like how USB 1.1 is just not used anymore, we have to wait for USB 2.0 to be slowly phased out.

USB-C does have its flaws, but it is definitely the direction that the industry Is heading in, and no matter which way you plug it in look at it, USB-C is going to work.

What do you think of USB-C? Have any questions? Voice your opinion in the comments below!

Happy Androiding!

-Lumi Valo

I'm more interested in what the Honor 8 does with USB-C.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm mixed on USB-C. Way before, I was originally like no way, not doing it...until 90% of the phones I wanted to try all have USB-C. To me, it's to the point where it having USB-C is a non-issue because I have a nice, safe cord meant for charging outside of my home.

It's a shame that the standard is currently weak though, with some Type-C cords possibly becoming a hazard.

Etyrnus

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I love the versatility of USB-C, the ports are sturdier. The QC needs to be stepped up with the voltage hazards, absolutely.

I do wonder if the Google Dual port USB-C charger would be safe to use on the Honor 8, since I have one. Not sure I want to be the one to risk finding out though...

samix

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, think the USB-C standard has to become stronger before I buy in. You shouldn't have to read an in-depth technical paper to make sure the USB-C charger you buy won't damage your phone.

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I love the versatility of USB-C, the ports are sturdier. The QC needs to be stepped up with the voltage hazards, absolutely.

I do wonder if the Google Dual port USB-C charger would be safe to use on the Honor 8, since I have one. Not sure I want to be the one to risk finding out though...
Dual port?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Usb c is going to be the standard. Really, all Android manufacturers should switch to it as soon as possible. Holding out just makes it more painful to transition

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez