Horrible step tracker

sonnnet

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Dear Sonnnet many thanks for your really valuable input!!!
I am just about to get the new Galaxy watch as a fitness tracker but with all these issues, I am having second thoughts and hesitate to buy it. Please let us know whether it goes accurate/ stable within the next days...Regards SK
Kko, you are more than welcome. My advice is, if you can wait, then wait. We'll keep you posted on here, but my guess is it will take more than one update for this watch to be a reliable fitness tracker. There's all this HR stuff but GPS lock and consistency is also a big, temperamental problem, not to mention the Step count for many users.
Also bear in mind the next Galaxy Watch will be released probably in August 2019 and surely they won't make the same mistakes twice.

Kko 5

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Kko, you are more than welcome. My advice is, if you can wait, then wait. We'll keep you posted on here, but my guess is it will take more than one update for this watch to be a reliable fitness tracker. There's all this HR stuff but GPS lock and consistency is also a big, temperamental problem, not to mention the Step count for many users.
Also bear in mind the next Galaxy Watch will be released probably in August 2019 and surely they won't make the same mistakes twice.

Dear friend...I really appreciate your fast reply and valuable advice...And having in mind these problems, you are totally right that I should wait for the time being...and I will definetely keep an eye for your forum input updates as well as from other members.
I really hope that finally an update fixes all these issues cause its a pitty for all galaxy watch owners.
Thanx again..Best Regards SK

chas1723

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
It appears the update helped my watch quite a bit. I have not had an issue with the heart rate sensor getting stuck since. It happened daily prior to the update. I also feel like the battery is lasting longer but I need a few more power cycles to really know for sure.

Kko 5

May 20, 2015
Visit site
It appears the update helped my watch quite a bit. I have not had an issue with the heart rate sensor getting stuck since. It happened daily prior to the update. I also feel like the battery is lasting longer but I need a few more power cycles to really know for sure.

Thank you chas1723....that is good news...pls do let us know how it goes within the next days...Cheers!

sonnnet

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Dear friend...I really appreciate your fast reply and valuable advice...And having in mind these problems, you are totally right that I should wait for the time being...and I will definetely keep an eye for your forum input updates as well as from other members.
I really hope that finally an update fixes all these issues cause its a pitty for all galaxy watch owners.
Thanx again..Best Regards SK
No problem. And I'm not trying to undermine the really positive reports from those with the new update. I just think there are a number of bugs which need ironing out before I could honestly recommend this watch as a fitness tracker. I think if you bought one with fitness tracking as your purpose, you are likely to have a love/ hate experience with it. Which is what I have! It's an extremely capable device but the health/tracking software is poor. The watch uses the Tizen operating system which Samsung also use on TVs, and other electronic products. Changes affect far too many layers. This is why updates and bug fixes take so long. I'm hoping they will get there in the end for us, but it's slow going.
Having said that, the look and feel and operation of the device itself is gorgeous. It's a mixed bag. If/ when they sort the bugs out, it will be premium. The good news is with the recent update (which I've not got yet), it seems they are heading for this.

Kko 5

May 20, 2015
Visit site
No problem. And I'm not trying to undermine the really positive reports from those with the new update. I just think there are a number of bugs which need ironing out before I could honestly recommend this watch as a fitness tracker. I think if you bought one with fitness tracking as your purpose, you are likely to have a love/ hate experience with it. Which is what I have! It's an extremely capable device but the health software is poor. The watch uses the Tizen operating system which Samsung also use on TVs, and other electronic products. Changes affect far too many layers. This is why updates and bug fixes take so long. I'm hoping they will get there in the end for us, but it's slow going.
Having said that, the look and feel and operation of the device itself is gorgeous. It's a mixed bag. If/ when they sort the bugs out, it will be premium. The good news is with the recent update (which I've not got yet), it seems they are heading for this.

From all these reviews I have seen in Youtube, I definetely agree that the looks and feel of the device itself is gorgeous...But...there are so many Buts for a €330 galaxy watch. I am withinin the Europe area (Cyprus) and I hope the wishfull update reaches asap with actual good remedies corrections...so as to decide in getting the watch

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
There are so many software glitches with this watch. It is so unacceptable. I have a a number of electronic devices. This single little watch has given me more irritation than all my devices EVER combined. As soon as I start working out and in 10 minutes I don't start seeing the healthy pace start up, I know I am screwed for the day. There is some app, somewhere on my phone preventing accurate movement on the watch. It could be apps in the play store waiting to be updated that are not even Samsung related.

It is one thing when one rogue app messes with something on your phone, but for every single thing to affect this watch, even watch faces, it's just crazy. Can anyone imagine your phone not working because there are apps in the play store that need updating?? And not related to the use of your phone's operating system?

If you don't own this watch yet, I would wait. It is a big headache.

sonnnet

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
There are so many software glitches with this watch. It is so unacceptable. I have a a number of electronic devices. This single little watch has given me more irritation than all my devices EVER combined. As soon as I start working out and in 10 minutes I don't start seeing the healthy pace start up, I know I am screwed for the day. There is some app, somewhere on my phone preventing accurate movement on the watch. It could be apps in the play store waiting to be updated that are not even Samsung related.

It is one thing when one rogue app messes with something on your phone, but for every single thing to affect this watch, even watch faces, it's just crazy. Can anyone imagine your phone not working because there are apps in the play store that need updating?? And not related to the use of your phone's operating system?

If you don't own this watch yet, I would wait. It is a big headache.
I doubt it's a rogue app. It's more likely the actual software written for the sensors (ie part of the system software from what I've gleaned from a software engineer). This is why the update seems to have improved things for those that have it. It's a software fix. How on earth this watch was released with the original software on board just mystifies me.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I doubt it's a rogue app. It's more likely the actual software written for the sensors (ie part of the system software from what I've gleaned from a software engineer). This is why the update seems to have improved things for those that have it. It's a software fix. How on earth this watch was released with the original software on board just mystifies me.
Fitbit ionic was released with far worse software. That does not justify either but fitbit even released a new device before fixing it. Their answer was always that the phone you have is not compatible. I switched to Samsung because Ionic still had the same issues after updates. All that worked right was fitness and sleep tracking when you could connect. And people complained even those were not working for everyone. It seems like everyone is trying to beat the next guy out with a new device instead of perfecting it first. I realize they can't test every phone with it.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

When there are no apps that need an update or acting up, my tracker works great. As soon as it stops working great, I see an issue with an app.

sonnnet

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
When there are no apps that need an update or acting up, my tracker works great. As soon as it stops working great, I see an issue with an app.
That's really strange and in that case, I see what you mean.
Do you have the new update yet?

Fitbit ionic was released with far worse software. That does not justify either but fitbit even released a new device before fixing it. Their answer was always that the phone you have is not compatible. I switched to Samsung because Ionic still had the same issues after updates. All that worked right was fitness and sleep tracking when you could connect. And people complained even those were not working for everyone. It seems like everyone is trying to beat the next guy out with a new device instead of perfecting it first. I realize they can't test every phone with it.
Didn't know that. Not just Samsung, then. I'm surprised these tech companies haven't had a major law suit against them if that's their game. That would put a stop to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
That's really strange and in that case, I see what you mean.
Do you have the new update yet?

It is very strange and very bothersome.

I do not have the update yet. I am going to call Verizon. Do you have the LTE version? If so, which carrier?

sonnnet

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I've got the Bluetooth model. But I'm in the UK and although Bluetooth models in the US and Canada were updated a week ago, we are still waiting for the update.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
It is very strange and very bothersome.

I do not have the update yet. I am going to call Verizon. Do you have the LTE version? If so, which carrier?
Even though it was announced it was rolling out, I don't think it has hit any LTE users yet. And I have Verizon for my phone. They are traditionally the slowest carrier to update anything.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alakmalak