how are updates on international note 4 ?

JimJr0405

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
been with apple for 5 years now . time to make a switch . love the s.amoled display on the note 4 . only thing i don't care for is lack of updates to carrier phones . in my family we have a galaxy note 2 and it went from android 4.1 to 4.4.2 to me that is a huge downfall . regular updates including the latest security updates and app compatibility are important to me .
(i do not root phones or have any interest in doing so) i am thinking about buying the international version . do the international versions of the samsung phones get more updates available and faster through the life of the phone (if so how many more updates do international versions average ?) that is the only thing i do not like at all . used to the iPhone having no carrier control and getting 4 solid years of updates .
i average 4 years with my phone . and the latest security that comes with higher versions of android is important to me . so love that display and speed of that phone . tested at local at&t . any helpful knowledge would be appreciated . thank you in advance .

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I invested in an international Note 4 for that very reason. Carrier dependant variants are always behind the SIM free unlocked ones in my experience, sometimes quite a few months and sometimes get ignored all together. Usually Samsung support their devices for about 18-24 months (as per Google's policy). My S4 I had before the Note had 14 fairly regular updates with hopefully more to come but I don't expect it to get many more after Lollipop.

I do not root my phones either or have any interest in doing so. They work as they should and do what I want them to do.

I expect the Note 4 to be supported for another two years or at least until Note 6 comes out. I've never really been disapponted with updates from Samsung (but there may always be a first one).

Apart from that, besides the bloatware you get from Samsung you get even more from carriers. Another reason to go for an international model in my opinion.

I am sure a lot of people will disagree with me entirely but I always preferred an international model, not carrier dependant.

Forgot to add the international Note 4 had 3 updates already.

JimJr0405

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
awesome , thats good to hear . if you don't mind me asking what was the latest update you got with your S4 ? if 4.4.4 then that would convince me to go ahead with the note 4 . almost enough money saved up . best display i have seen yet on any smartphone .

BrockS.

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My understanding is that the international model does get faster updates, but the time of support varies. For example, my Sprint S3 went from 4.1 to 4.4 (I understand that model launched with ICS) but the international version did not get updated to 4.4 KK for one reason or another. Again, I could be in error on this, but that is what I have seen on the net.

As for the carrier versions, that depends heavily on the carrier. Some are better/faster than others. I looked at going with an international model for much the same reason as you but found out it did not support my provider's LTE bands.

posted from an undisclosed device

D Android

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
awesome , thats good to hear . if you don't mind me asking what was the latest update you got with your S4 ? if 4.4.4 then that would convince me to go ahead with the note 4 . almost enough money saved up . best display i have seen yet on any smartphone .

S4 is currently on 4.4.2. According to various sources I believe it will go straight to 5 from that. sammobile.com is a good place to see all available firmwares for all Samsung devices. But as BrockS. mentioned make sure that the international variant will work with your carrier.

Fuzzi99

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Add to the fact that there are (at least) 6 different versions of the Note 4 before the carrier versions are added to that list.
Each one with different LTE bands except one which is 3G only

Sent from my fabulous Note 4 Exynos

qbnkelt

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I've considered an international device. The only thing that has me wary is support in case something goes wrong. Is there insurance available for international models?

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤

qbnkelt

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Yah that's my concern, that should something happen I can't get the phone replaced or repaired.

Sent from my gorgeous sexy white BEAST of a Note 4 ❤