How are you liking your Robin?

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
VoLTE is too valuable for me though to lose. Even so, I'm curious what things you say that CM isn't good at though.

Eh, basically what's not great about CM is stability. Things crash from time-to-time. I have found that Google Now, Chrome, and the Swype are affected the most. I haven't tried other keyboards yet since it's intermittent, but it has been a minor annoyance. I should try others.

I don't know how CM does so much better asleep than the Nextbit software with regards to the battery.

Also, CM now updates OTA for nightly builds. Updating the build is cake and you can do it every day if you want! Ha

skinbubble

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I got one off of Amazon when they were having the $100 off. I like it as it is nice and fast and the feel in my hand is nice. So far, so good on my experience with it so far.

xxxmerlinxxx

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
My wife has one in Midnight. She loves it compared to the LG G4 she had before. Her biggest gripe right now is battery life. She gets about 3/4 of a day before she has to charge it. I installed Sound Profiler to control the loud audio problem.

Posted via the Android Central App

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
My wife has one in Midnight. She loves it compared to the LG G4 she had before. Her biggest gripe right now is battery life. She gets about 3/4 of a day before she has to charge it. I installed Sound Profiler to control the loud audio problem.

Posted via the Android Central App

Yeah the battery life is the only thing that annoyed me about it. I'm too used to phones that give me a day and some of battery life.

Sent from mTalk

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
So I couldn't let go, ended up buying another Robin to keep. Making tweaks for the battery life makes me like it so much more now. No more fast charge in the morning and running to a charger in the evening, thankfully. I get about 20-24 hours of usage (so literally about a day) which is something I can deal with.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
what tweaks did you do?

I did a couple of things, I'll just quote my post:

6 tips to improve battery life on the Nexus 5X | Android Central
I tried that on the 5x (well, not the last tip but most of it) and it worked out well. For location, battery saving is the best mode (some people have said that they change it to high accuracy when using the maps when traveling).
Also I turned off (Google) Now on tap in settings and that helped. You can still use it if you need it, but at least this way, it isn't always listening.
Finally, I limited backup. In my case, I just turned it off altogether but I would think there should be a setting to reduce or change how often backup is making backups.
It seems like a day is what someone can roughly get with the Robin, but that is what I plan to try to see how far I can extend the day.

Additionally some apps aren't so good. I hear a lot about the Facebook app being a leech around these forums. Speaking of apps, it's up to you if you want them to auto-update and install or if you want them to just notify you when updates are available.

Funny that you say running to the charger. I felt like I was doing that EVERY DAY. It made me mad. I really hope these tips help me since they helped with the 5x and the two devices are seriously similar, minus the ambient (fickle) display lol.

Edit: I keep adding to this post, sorry. I somehow forgot to say that I adjusted the "push" notifications for my email accounts. My secondary email doesn't get much email, so I set that to daily. My primary email gets email randomly, so I feel like setting that to hourly helps me. YMMV with this, you don't have to do it, it's just a suggestion.

Edit 2: The comments in the linked post are interesting, they might be worth a read. Sorry for the wall of text!

I also have Wifi to not be connected when the phone is sleeping but you don't have to do that. I only do that because my wifi at work is so varied. Since I have been doing this, I always get at least 20 hours on one charge. 20 hours is with me using it a lot and I can't put it down unless I'm sleeping or really busy with work or doing something that I need serious focus for. In actuality, it's more like near 23-24 hours. I'm just someone who generally charges on 30 something percent, so generally a day and some is what I get.

proliant

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
International version of Nextbit Robin
Use in Hong Kong since 2 weeks ago.
Pros:
- headphone jack audio is great, IMHO
- unique design
- no bloatware
- fingerprint censor is fast and responsive
- latest June security patches are available
Cons:
- process intensive apps cause the phone hot on both sides
Other (not a complain):
- Octopus apps does not support the phone (Hong Kong provider issue)
- not able to play .ts file due to codecs missing
Overall the OS is solid and lightweight. It would be nice if we can have control over the cloud storage. It gives you choices and allows user to install other OS (i.e. CM, AOSP).

Last edited: