How can I get my Note 4 screen mirroring with miracast to work?

teshcnote

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Note 4 screen mirroring with miracast failing

So I'm using my Note 4 and SONY BD Player BDPS5200 to try screen mirroring and it fails. Note 4 finds the BD device and BD and Note 4 say connecting but it ends up failing each time. Does anyone know of a fix? perhaps an app that needs to be downloaded? or am I SOL? lol thanks!:p

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Note 4 screen mirroring with miracast failing

Chromecast and the Chromecast app. See Cast your Android screen from the Chromecast App. The Note 4 is supported. (And it's wireless.) Best Buy has them on sale this week (at least) for about $24. Aside from how funny a portrait homescreen looks on a landscape TV, I love mine (and had to buy one for my grandson because he loves playing games on his Chromebook on a large screen). I paid full price ($35) for mine and I'm not disappointed that I didn't wait.

novarex

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

Chromecast is a poor solution because it requires a WiFi Internet connection. That means that you can use it in your home but not in hotel rooms, for example, and not even in your home if your WiFi connection does not happen to cover the area where your television is located. Miracast used to be an excellent solution as it used a WiFi link between the phone and the Miracast dongle connected to the television's HDMI input. However, it seems that Miracast has now been obsoleted under Android 5, or at least it has on the Samsung Note series. The Miracast devices still appear in the screen mirroring list but the connection always fails.
Since upgrading to Android 5 I haven't watched anything on a big screen and can only use my phone for watching programs. However, that's unsuitable for viewing with friends and family. People say the only good solution is to go back to downloading with a PC and connecting it to the television. However, it used to be more convenient when we could download programs to the phone and then decide whether to watch them on the phone or the TV. Now, with Miracast gone, you have do decide in advance whether you are going to watch on the phone or via a PC on the TV. It's like technology reversing direction and becoming more primitive.

Todd Holaday

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I just received the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter and tried to use it with my Note 4. The instructions were not helpful for an Android device. I attached the Adapter to the TV/Monitor via the HDMI port and used a spare USB power supply to power it. The screen would display the Microsoft logo for a second then go dark, then repeat the display every 10 seconds or so. I wan't sure if this was normal or not. I then found screen mirroring on the Note 4 which is hidden in the "settings" - "more networks" area, or you can add the "screen mirroring" icon to your expanded config dropdown. I turned on screen mirroring but the device could not detect the adapter. I tried resetting the adapter by holding down on the button for 10 seconds - this seemed to have no effect. I then tried a different USB power supply and - IT WORKS!. The Microsoft logo displayed for more than a brief second and the Note 4 immediately found the adapter and listed it for connection in the screen mirroring app. I tried Netflix and a Powerpoint presentation. Everything thing works very nicely. I hope this helps. My Android O/S is 4.4.4.

snakemoore

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
word of advice - dont update to lollipop if you want to keep using miracast. There seems to be a lot of people with the same issue. Works fine with note 4 & Kitkat but with lollipop it just stops working.

kn1968

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Just curious if there is any word on a fix for this. Just figured out last night my S5 active no longer works with miracast since the lollipop update. It not only won't connect, but it also kills my wifi connection and won't accept the wifi password. I have to do a hard reset to get the phone back up and connected to wifi.

shots_alot

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I was thinking my Samsung Allshare Cast dongle was bad but after reading your post I'm having second thoughts. My dongle use to work to my Note 4 until I updated to Lollipop through at&t. What exactly does your connection exhibit? I want to mirror but I only get one shot with this due to funding limits. Which dongle should I purchase? I use my cellular connection for streaming which is what I'm mostly interested in. I'm building a HTPC so maybe I'll find another way to connect my cell to my TV.

shots_alot

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I just sent Samsung an inquiry on the lack of mirroring on a Samsung phone after receiving the Lollipop 5.0.1 update. I encourage everyone to contact Samsung and maybe we;ll get this issue corrected. Calling your provider won't get you anywhere, it's over their heads.

shots_alot

May 28, 2015
Visit site

I have the same problem with my Samsung Note 4 using a Samsung Allshare Cast dongle and screen mirroring. Rather than wait for Samsung to figure out and fix the problem then wait for my provider to push it out of their lab, I purchased a direct connect at Amazon for $49.99. Samsung makes a dongle which is a MHL 3.0 micro usb to HDMI. You'll get the 1080p HD picture and 7.1 sound. It connects from your cell phone to your HD TV. You have to make sure the MHL is 3.0, the 2.0 is much cheaper but won't work with a Note 4 or other phones requiring MHL 3.0

rrspikes

May 15, 2011
Visit site

The Rocketfish RF-WFD301 works with S5, Note 4 & S6 Edge on Lollipop.

Posted via the Android Central App

Offr0ad

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
I just sent Samsung an inquiry on the lack of mirroring on a Samsung phone after receiving the Lollipop 5.0.1 update. I encourage everyone to contact Samsung and maybe we;ll get this issue corrected. Calling your provider won't get you anywhere, it's over their heads.

I just updated my Note 4 to 5.0.1 and the screen mirroring with BDP S5200 now works smoothly. Before that, I had the Sony player detected but failed to connect everytime. I used patches, other miracast apps and whatnot to connect but in vain. But surprisingly, it worked on the first try after updating my phone. I was here in this thread before I updated my software and was quite unsure about upgrading to lollipop but I still did it and was for better.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

I don't know why you guys are having problems with the All Cast dongle. I have a Note 4 on Sprint running 5.0.1 I could use the dongle on Kitkat and updated to Lollipop and nothing changed for me. Maybe it's your carrier's version of lollipop. I don't know, but my husband's Sprint Note 3 on lollipop also works fine. Shrug. 😕

Hope you get it figured out. I don't think it's inherently the Note 4 itself. My 2 cents.

bojo90

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Got it to work today with a new Samsung TV. Had to turn off WIFI on the Note 4 and turn on Screen Mirroring. Worked perfectly including replay of a video I had recorded on my phone recently. More flexible than Chrome cast since it will mirror anything on the phone. The trade off is it runs off the phone and if screen times out the TV goes dark too. I was surprised it didn't heat the phone up and the battery held up.

I'm on 5.0.1 on Verizon.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Got it to work today with a new Samsung TV. Had to turn off WIFI on the Note 4 and turn on Screen Mirroring. Worked perfectly including replay of a video I had recorded on my phone recently. More flexible than Chrome cast since it will mirror anything on the phone. The trade off is it runs off the phone and if screen times out the TV goes dark too. I was surprised it didn't heat the phone up and the battery held up.

I'm on 5.0.1 on Verizon.

That onlybworks with apps that display the share symbol to turn on. Not all apps that show movies do. Netflix does though.

bojo90

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

I'm not sure that's the case with screen mirroring because it just mirrored everything I did on the phone. That TV is at church so I haven't had much time to test it out, but I do have Chromecast at home and know about the Chromecast symbol in compatible apps. I'll play around with the TV Sunday and see if there's anything it won't mirror.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I'm not sure that's the case with screen mirroring because it just mirrored everything I did on the phone. That TV is at church so I haven't had much time to test it out, but I do have Chromecast at home and know about the Chromecast symbol in compatible apps. I'll play around with the TV Sunday and see if there's anything it won't mirror.

I don't have chromcast. I do have Samsung smart tv. How do I turn on screen mirroring on my phone and have it show on my tv?

If I am in netflix or gallery there is a symbol I touch that mirrors content but as soon as you leave the app you cannot see what is on your phone. Let me put it this way. How do I show my note home screen on my tv? Steps please.
Thanks!

Never mind. My tv 2013. Screen mirroring added to sammy smart tv last year.

Last edited:

Kastrong

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
I have a Note 2 version 4.4.2 and I was having the black screen issue. I was able to resolve it using a combination of re-setting the adapter and uploading a patch to my Note 2 called "Screen Mirroring Patch" by Samsung Electronics Mobile. Free upload for the apps store. Turn the phone off and back on and presto it worked.