How can I remove apps from the Google Play update list without updating?

datawalla

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
This question isn't specific to the Note, but since that's what I have, I thought I'd ask here. I haven't rooted my phone, so I'm still stuck with the AT&T bloatware. I don't use any of it and I'm tired of having to use my data to update apps I never wanted and have never used (like AT&T Navigator). But once an update shows up on Google Play, I haven't found any way to remove those specific apps from my "installed app" update list without actually updating them. Is there any way to do it? How safe is it really to root a Note I? What percentage of phones actually get bricked? What can increase or decrease the chances of a phone bricking while being rooted? As you can probably tell, I'm very nervous, but I'd like to do it. I'm generally pretty technically proficient and confident, but if I brick this phone, I can't afford to replace it and it's my only phone as well as being the modem for my laptop and my "surrogate brain," storing a lot of my personal info, so I'd be screwed six ways from Sunday. I'd appreciate any answers on the update question as well as your input on how safe rooting the phone would be. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I can't answer your rooting questions, but in regard to the bloatware, why not just disable it? Then you won't get prompted to update it.

datawalla

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I've disabled what I can, but some apps, like AT&T Navigator, don't give you an option to either disable or uninstall them. There's a monthly charge for Navigator and it's not even as good as Waze, so I'll never activate it. Yet I have to download its updates or live with it constantly in my "update available" list, which I find annoying.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wow, you really can't disable AT&T Navigator? That royally sucks. At least Verizon lets you disable their worthless navigation app.