How can I restore this setting?

Douglas Morrow

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I have a Moto X. For many months, I had the settings set to where I couldn't get internet unless I was attached to a Wifi (usually at home) This was due to a very low data limit and I wanted to make sure my aps weren't doing any thing to affect that.

Then one day I changed the settings in order to use the internet while on a trip. Now I need to set it back, but cannot get it set the way I want.

A) I want to be able to receive photos in messages at any time - 4G or Wifi

b) I want net work traffic blocked unless I am connected to a Wifi hotspot.

Can anyone tell me how this is done?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try Settings>Data Usage​, and tap Menu, then Restrict Background Data.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You can select individual apps to Restrict Background Data for. In that Data Usage screen, select an app, then tap Restrict Background Data--that will happen only for that app. You can do it for as many apps as you want.

Douglas Morrow

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
That is what I'm doing, BUT when I first got the phone, I only had to do one click., in one place and it set things up the way I wanted. Now, I'm lost.

And it also is not working. how odd. I clicked Restrict Background Data on Chrome, but it still connects. ???

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Background data is stuff that gets synced when you're not actively using the app. If you're actually using Chrome, it's in the foreground, so it will function normally.

Since I don't have a Moto X, I can't be sure if there's some setting that I'm missing. See if this helps: Optimize Data Usage Moto X | Verizon Wireless