How do I change to new primary account?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Google killed my account. I created a new one and added it to the phone, but everything wants to use the old account and won't let me change it. Removing the old account will remove all my messages and other data. How do I promote the new account without losing everything.

One of the things I can't use is the Play Store to download new apps.

rathje40

Jun 4, 2022
Visit site
I accidentally uploaded something to YouTube they found objectionable, so they killed my entire Google account. Nothing from that account is available if it wasn't in my phone or in my Chrome browser. Breaking my phone is only one of a huge number of problems this has caused. I've been able to recover my contacts and my passwords, but that's about it. I backed the photos up to my computer, so I won't lose those, but AFAIK the only way to get it to use my new account is to delete the old user and that will wipe my messages. Using F-Droid, I was able to download SMS Backup+, but when I try to have it send my messages to the new account, I get "This app is blocked"

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I accidentally uploaded something to YouTube they found objectionable, so they killed my entire Google account. Nothing from that account is available if it wasn't in my phone or in my Chrome browser. Breaking my phone is only one of a huge number of problems this has caused. I've been able to recover my contacts and my passwords, but that's about it. I backed the photos up to my computer, so I won't lose those, but AFAIK the only way to get it to use my new account is to delete the old user and that will wipe my messages. Using F-Droid, I was able to download SMS Backup+, but when I try to have it send my messages to the new account, I get "This app is blocked"
Welcome to AC!

Which device?
So you didn't have a complete back up for your device?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I haven't read an article on AC since the app quit working, don't like the website. Lol

That doesn't discount that the article was written, someone saw it and shared the link with the person asking the question. I don't read the blog regularly either, but I follow them on FB and this post caught my eye as being related to an article I saw the headline for earlier in the week...