How do I delete unsupported files from my picture gallery? They are no longer on my gmail account .

tudorwoman

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I need to delete pictures in my picture gallery. I have gone online and deleted them on my gmail account. But when I tried to delete the thumbnail pics on my phone it says unsupported file and It won't let me delete them.

xpandora808

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Plug your phone into your computer and you can delete them directly off of the phone. You can also install a file browser app on your phone to do it, but those can get pretty scammy... to tread with caution.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to the App Manager, select Gallery, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Now open Gallery again, and wait a few seconds for the database to rebuild. Are those unsupported images still showing up?

Littlejewel

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
I had that problem and also tried what you said and now there are just a bunch of blank squares where the pictures used to be... I have a Samsung S-5 How do I get ride of those blank spaces?

boxercrosswriter

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I didn't get that far. I went to Apps (chequerboard icon - was that right?), clicked on Gallery, and there were lots of photographs with an icon like a multi-coloured camera iris - these are the 'unsupported files I want to delete. But nowhere could I find Clear Cache/Clear Data, not to mention Force Stop. I think I'm failing to do something simple, but I'm stuck whichever way you look at it. Help.......?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You have to go to the System Settings menu to clear an app's cache and data. Tap your App Drawer button (the checkerboard icon you mentioned), then Settings, then Apps (or App Manager), and look for the Gallery app there. You'll find the options to Clear Cache/Clear Data and Force Stop there.

boxercrosswriter

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
........and I followed your crystal-clear instructions, and all the 'unsupported file' photographs disappeared like so much snow in summer.

Thanks so much. I hope you know how much you're appreciated.......

photo help

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi I am having this problem as well. When I went into the app manager, Gallery was not listed. I have gallery on my phone, and there are pictures I cannot delete exactly for the same reason as the original poster. Can you help?

grimister

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Make sure you scroll the header line to ALL apps. Mine defaults to only show downloaded apps list.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rex 123

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I have been trying to delete photos from my S5 that are shown as Unsupported File Format. I read in this forum that I should go to App Manager and find Gallery to delete the cache. Unfortunately, I do not see Gallery listed in my App Manager. It appears my gallery is tied to Google. I go to Google and delete the photos there but they are still on my phone even after a sync. How do I get them off my phone? Thanks.

Blue88Jeans

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi Rex 123,

Been having the same trouble as you. Here's what I discovered:
1. Go to Gallery app
2. On the top right-hand corner, tap on the 3 vertical dots, which will display a list of things
3. Tap on "Content to Display"
4. Uncheck "Content on Picasa" - and this removed all the unsupported file photos!!

Make sure the only box ticked in "Content to Display" is the one next to "Content on Device"

Hope this works for ya ;)