How do I display PHONE contacts (not Google contacts) on Android?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I just got a new Galaxy S8 and could not transfer contacts from old phone because it died (like a brick!). Of course, all my Google contacts came over fine but mostly those are emails. My original philosophy on contacts was that Gmail knows the gmail addresses and Dialers knew the phone numbers and the two don't necessarily have to meet. Of course, over the years some have merged as Contact apps evolved and merging became a thing. Entering a new contact and phone number, generally defaulted to "Phone" not Google for most of my phone years.

Anyhow, so now in order to get some phone numbers onto my new phone, I went back to an older phone and transferred contacts from there. All my "phone contacts" are now on my new phone, but they are hidden away and ONLY visible diving down into "Groups". Some are actually in groups. Many are "unassigned". But ALL are unviewable or searchable from the main Contacts page. The Contacts page ONLY shows "google account" contacts.

I need to be able to see or search for Phone contacts. I can't find anything in the Contacts app to toggle or include Phone contacts.

I'm lost w/o my people! I had to go find an old voice mail from a contact and press #5 to hear her number. The weird thing was, after I dialed the number, the dialer recognized it and I saw her Icon/name show up briefly. But a search for that same name, comes up null.

Sorry this is long.... I tend to overexplain to give full background to hopefully get better answer.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
You are most welcome! And welcome to the forum also! The beauty of this is that we all have little tricks or experiences that can help others who haven't yet discovered them! These others also have things to share...

gardengal4

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I love these forums. I have been here for many years! (I had trouble logging in for my OP). So if anyone is reading this in the future, the Custom List is perfect for my situation. I could pick and choose from google/phone just which ones Contacts should need. (I think.). I first did ALL, but that was way too much. And many of my gmail contacts were already in Groups so it was easy to customize by Group. If I have some extra time, I would put it back to ALL and do some serious cleanup/merging. But for now, CUSTOM seems to be working. Mail seems to be able to find everyone and the contact list (used primarily for text/phone) does not get cluttered with every single contact with an email address.