How do I open .pdf documents

J0n0

Dec 13, 2020
Visit site
Hello you clever lot

My Motorola G8+ no longer automatically opens up .pdf documents from links I click on. Previously I'd click on a .pdf file and it would just open up in a pdf viewer application.

Instead it just takes me to a blank page from another app I don't recognise. I've attached a picture of the screen it takes me to. I'm unable to download the file from this screen or share the file. I don't think the file is actually being downloaded.

I think its something to do with which programemes are set to open internet links with but I can't work it out.

thank you in advance.

Jono

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-12-13 at 20.10.52.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-12-13 at 20.10.52.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 10

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Even without a dedicated app for PDF files you should be able to open them with Google Drive. It seems there's some default set to open them that is not working properly.

Try this. Right after opening a PDF file open the Recent apps overview and see which app is the last one being used.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You could also go to Settings>Apps, tap Menu, then Reset App Preferences (although this would be global -- Javier P's suggestion might help you pinpoint the app you need to clear defaults from).

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I used to use Google Drive PDF viewer exclusively. As stated above, that will open PDF files by default. I agree with the post above, it sounds like something was set to open PDF by default and that app can't open PDF.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It would also help to know which app you're using to try to open those links. Many communication apps have an option to open links within the app, meaning the app will try to open the link using the basic system webview browser. This might not work properly for PDFs. If the app you're using has that setting, turn it off.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You could also go to Settings>Apps, tap Menu, then Reset App Preferences (although this would be global -- Javier P's suggestion might help you pinpoint the app you need to clear defaults from).
Exactly, that's my idea. Once they find out which app is opening those files clearing defaults will affect only that one, instead of a global reset.

J0n0

Dec 13, 2020
Visit site
So, I've tried opening a .pdf and then checking what is the most recenlty used app and it looks like its Google drive. As the pdf does not display (as shown in the pic) above- as someone mentioned earlier it does look like that that here is another app trying to open
the pdf.

I have also now cleared all preferences all all apps but the issue persists. The pdf links I want to open are from an internet source not sure if a default application is trying to open them. Is there any way to assign a specific app to open a specific file like in Windows10? Thanks for all your helpful comments.

Last edited: