How do I restore emails in trash to inbox?

Rimiko

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I recently got my S7 and the learning curve on it is not easy going from an S3. I am using the default email program that comes with the phone. My email is provided by my isp.

When I press and hold emails that I accidentally deleted to the trash bin it checks a box next to them. The only options on the "more" menu in the upper left corner are "add star" or "mark as read/unread".

If I don't both pressing and holding to select the email I can swipe left, which will delete the email with the undo option only available for a short time.

If I swipe right instead it shows (initially) the options "move, set reminder, read/unread and reply". All are in red as though available until I finish the swipe, then all but the read/unread option are grey, making them unavailable. If I don't finish the swipe it Springs back to place from before I began the swipe.

So how do I restore emails in the trash bin to the inbox? I'd there a way to un-grey the move option, or is there another way to do it? There has to be a way to restore accidentally deleted email, it seems stupid that there wouldn't be a way.

I only have ONE inbox, so people who suggest I not be in the combined inbox, I only have one email setup in the email app so there is NO combined inbox.

I Google searched but could not find a solution anywhere, not even on these forums. Sorry if the solution is posted somewhere here and I missed it.

I appreciate any help I can get ASAP (some emails pertain to work so I need to get them back quickly!)!

Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I don't have an S7, so bear with me a little. When you long-press an email, then check its checkbox, do any other options show up at the top of the screen (besides More)?

I am assuming that you're using the POP3 server of your email provider. Do you know if it's set to delete the email from the server after downloading to your phone, or does it keep a copy?

In general, using the IMAP server is much better, and will save you from these kinds of headaches in the future. Read more about it here: IMAP vs POP3

Rimiko

May 30, 2015
Visit site
My isp only uses pop3 not inappropriate unfortunately. It is set to never delete emails from the server, but since I've already downloaded it, it won't download again. The only other option after a long press on an email when the checkboxes come up is "delete" next to the "more" menu, and I definitely do not wantto delete them!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Who is the email provider? Not that I don't believe you, but I can do a little digging as well for you regarding the POP3/IMAP issue.;)

1Dead

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
I have a 7 Edge the same thing happened to me here's how the problem was solved for me .
Inbox to trash to more to edit to
select emails to more to move . Please tell me if this works for you Kerry Day

RipperooUK

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I have a 7 Edge the same thing happened to me here's how the problem was solved for me .
Inbox to trash to more to edit to
select emails to more to move.
Old thread I know, but for those who find themselves in the situation where selecting all items in the "Recycle Bin" and then having no option to move (like I did), I have the solution.

I had 15,000+ emails that I needed to move from my "Samsung S7 Edge" to a new phone, but "Smart Switch" wouldn't copy over the emails and I couldn't using the above method.

The reason was that I had emails from two different accounts, a POP3 account and a GMail account. When emails from both were selected at the same time, the "Move" button was unavaialble.

Anyhow, how I managed to move the emails back to the inbox is as follws:
  • Select Recycle Bin/Trash
  • Without selecting any emails, touch the menu dots (top-right)
  • Select "Sort"
  • Select "Sender (A to Z)"
  • Select and hold any email on the screen.
  • Select the dot at the top to select all emails (500 IIRC)
  • The "Move" button will now be available

You will get to a point were emails from both accounts are on screen at the same time, so at this point, manually select these final few and move.

HTH.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463