How do I Transfer SMS messages from GMAIL to the Messages app?

thontz

Jul 20, 2018
Visit site
Hi, I have a question and most questions on here go unanswered. I packed up my Huawei phone to return it a few days ago and noticed I didn't transfer my text messages. I downloaded SMS Backup and Restore. I also downloaded Backup+. I ran both of these on my Huawei phone. Then I got on my Moto G5 Plus while I'm waiting for my new phone to show up. It shows I backed up 5579 texts and then it says my messages have been restored. But then I open up messages and I have like 10 messages. Now, when I go to Gmail and then select SMS, all my messages are there. How do I take those messages and put them back into the Messages app? I've never had a problem with this at all and now I can't get it to work. I tried to restore them to my Moto G5 and had no luck, then I tried to restore them on the One Plus 6 and had no luck either. IMAP IS ENABLED. When I open the software it tells me there is 5579 Texts and 715 phone calls. So, it says they are on the phone. I just can't see them in the messages app. I've ran both programs and they both restore but I still don't have texts in my messages app. How can I do this?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Need lots more detail about how you created these backups.

SMS B&R should have created an XML file that can be copied to the new phone then restored using the SMS B&R software.

thontz

Jul 20, 2018
Visit site
SMS Backup and Restore backed up all sms messages on Google Drive. Now I can see all my SMS messages under GMAIL SMS. When I use the same software and select restore on my new phone, it already says I have 5579 SMS messages, but I go ahead and restore anyways but nothing gets restored. I've used SMS B&R and I've used Backup+ as well. No luck with either one. Thanks.

thontz

Jul 20, 2018
Visit site
Need lots more detail about how you created these backups.

SMS B&R should have created an XML file that can be copied to the new phone then restored using the SMS B&R software.

Ok I backed up my SMS messages to Google Drive. My phone that I was using is a Huawei Mate 20 Lite. Oreo 8.1. Tried to transfer to a Moto G5 Plus and that didn't work. Tried transferring to a One Plus 6 and that didn't work either. In GMAIL it shows all my messages under SMS. I've used SMS Backup and Restore. I've used Backup+. When I open up "Messages" app, only a few texts are there. So I've tried other programs as well.

Now it is worth pointing out that some things I do, don't work, like there isn't a connection. Like, the "setup a nearby device" on Android, that does not work. My Huawei won't find either the Moto or One Plus. A few aftermarket apps don't find each other either. And most annoyingly, when I hook my Huawei into my MacBook Pro it comes up with steps for me to perform. Then it says that I am missing "HiSuite" which is Huawei's version of Apple or Android apps. It tells me I first need to install this on my phone, but this is not available in the United States. So, I don't have any access to the backup. I did however manage to email the SMS and CALL files to GMAIL and I've tried restoring from that file but again, it always tells me that it is successful, but my texts never show up under the Messages App. I've tried Synchronoss Mobile Control which worked but still have no texts under "Messages" app. Switch app did NOT work. X-Transfer worked but still don't have any text messages in "Messages". What am I doing wrong? I can see the SMS texts under GMAIL, but I just want to have them in my Messages app.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I replied in your other thread and asked if you checked in the Archives section of the Messages app -- anything there?

thontz

Jul 20, 2018
Visit site
I did check in the archives and there is nothing there. This just doesn't make any sense. I have all my original texts on the Huawei phone and I need to ship it back because I have a return shipping label but I almost mailed it back and then remembered my texts. My Moto G5 Plus and my One Plus 6, both say there are about 6000 texts on them already, but they don't show up. The only way I can see my texts is if I go to Gmail and then look at them in the SMS section. There has to be a way to restore them to the messages app. So frustrating.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It may be worth sending an email to the developer of the SMS backup/restore app you're using to see if they have any suggestions.

thontz

Jul 20, 2018
Visit site
It may be worth sending an email to the developer of the SMS backup/restore app you're using to see if they have any suggestions.

I got it! I used an app called Super Backup and Restore. I backed up the texts on the Huawei but saved it as a custom name. Then I saved it in Google Drive. Super Backup and Restore actually lets you select Google Drive and I selected my backup and it restored it. Now that I have my Huawei transferred to my One Plus 6, my Samsung phone should be delivered to me on Monday! So, the fun will begin again lol!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87