How do I upgrade to Lollipop?

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I just purchased a refurbished Nexus 7 (2012) 32GB running Jelly Bean 4.1 I have not received it yet but I would like to upgrade to Lollipop. Is there a way to do this without rooting? As an old guy I'm not the most technologically sophisticated and am hesitant to get to to involved in this.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You don't root to upgrade. (And stop with the "old guy" stuff - I remember the day FDR died and I don't have to look at the computer too much to flash a phone. Old means pain, not inability to learn.) If and when Google releases an update, you'll get it (it's supposed to be upgradable to Lollipop, which I wouldn't let near my phone, or KitKat, which I'm running even though there's a Lollipop update available if I wanted it - which I do like I want another arthritic joint). Otherwise, head over to Nexus 7 Android Development - XDA Forums and start reading the various ROM threads to see if there's one you like. (Some are faster, some are better on battery, etc.) If all you want is a new look, install a different launcher, some new icons and different wallpaper.

flicker0x7

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
As Rukbat said, it's not necessary to root your device, you may just need to unlock your bootloader which is really easy and is done in a matter of seconds. After that, you're free to install new ROMs all you want.

I'd give you a link to a tutorial but as I'm not allowed to post links due to my post count, just look up "bootloader unlocking Android" :)

drew_t

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
The 2012 N7 was built with lousy memory modules, which create the lagging, lockups, and other performance issues that you see discussed in this forum. I don't know why anyone would buy one now, whether new or used. Send it back and get a 2013 or some other tablet, is my advice.

Double Tap

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
You don't root to upgrade. (And stop with the "old guy" stuff - I remember the day FDR died and I don't have to look at the computer too much to flash a phone. Old means pain, not inability to learn.) If and when Google releases an update, you'll get it (it's supposed to be upgradable to Lollipop, which I wouldn't let near my phone, or KitKat, which I'm running even though there's a Lollipop update available if I wanted it - which I do like I want another arthritic joint). Otherwise, head over to Nexus 7 Android Development - XDA Forums and start reading the various ROM threads to see if there's one you like. (Some are faster, some are better on battery, etc.) If all you want is a new look, install a different launcher, some new icons and different wallpaper.

Thanks for the info. The point about being old is just an attempt to be slightly humorous and my way of saying that I have not kept pace with the necessary reading to deal with all of the constantly changing aspects of mobile technology.

As for why I purchased this device, it's because it will be used primarily for Internet access and used as a GPS in my car.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis