How do you clean your glass screen?

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The wipes they sell are overprice, hence I use rubbing alcohol. The cleaning wipes usually consist of rubbing alcohol, just the mixture they diluted it so it can become lighter.

I am curious of how many actually uses rubbing alcohol.

Not sure about it removing the coating.

Thanks for the reply.
I use a drop..no kidding of baby shampoo in a cup of water. Shake well, spray on damp cloth, wipe entire phone, dry with microfiber cloth.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Just wipe mine down with anything cotton I'm wearing or a micro fiber cloth. I haven't washed it. If I do so, it will be with a Clorox wipe.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
As long as the stock oleophobic coating lasts, I simply wipe it clean with a microfiber cloth (if there's grit somehow on the screen I might use a damp paper towel very gently first to remove that). Oleophobic coatings are pretty easy to take off screens, so I avoid using anything other than a microfiber cloth or maybe plain water. The nice thing is that while the oleophobic coating holds up, nothing really sticks to the screen, and the oils from me touching it come off really easily.

After that goes, I replace it with a coat of wax. "Smitty's Glass Wax", or just good old basic Carnauba wax. It doesn't last very long but man does the phone screen feel nice for the week or so the wax coat holds up, and it's really easy to re-apply.

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
As long as the stock oleophobic coating lasts, I simply wipe it clean with a microfiber cloth (if there's grit somehow on the screen I might use a damp paper towel very gently first to remove that). Oleophobic coatings are pretty easy to take off screens, so I avoid using anything other than a microfiber cloth or maybe plain water. The nice thing is that while the oleophobic coating holds up, nothing really sticks to the screen, and the oils from me touching it come off really easily.

After that goes, I replace it with a coat of wax. "Smitty's Glass Wax", or just good old basic Carnauba wax. It doesn't last very long but man does the phone screen feel nice for the week or so the wax coat holds up, and it's really easy to re-apply.

Putting my phone in my pockets, after 1-2 days dust starts to stick on top of the phone. Does that means I lost my oleophobic coating?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Putting my phone in my pockets, after 1-2 days dust starts to stick on top of the phone. Does that means I lost my oleophobic coating?

Dust sticking to the screen? No, that's not necessarily a sign that the oleophobic coating is gone. Really, that coating is there to make skin oils not stick to the screen as strongly, so less of it accumulates and it is more easily wiped off.

You know that has failed when it feels like your phone slowly gets harder and harder to keep looking clean (often this will start happening first where the keyboard is, particularly if you are a "swipe typist" because that tends to rub the coating off more quickly). Oils will tend to stick to it more readily, and be harder to wipe off.

Dust sticking to the screen (the kind of sticking that is easily wiped off) is probably more of a function of static buildup, with happens around fabric rubbing against itself or other things (which there is plenty of when you are walking around with a phone in your pocket).

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I use Whoosh. I think it works very well. Better than anything else I have tried.

Thanks. I've only ever tried Smitty's and good old Mother's Gold pure Carnauba car wax, both of which do well (Smitty's is a lot easier to apply, Mother's Gold lasts longer). I'll have to give Whoosh a try someday, maybe.

Broken Vet

Sep 10, 2017
Visit site
LOL!!!!! Never thought of that, I just rolled with it.

Must be a vet thing, we do what we can with what we have. Thanks for your sevice brother.

...and thank you for your service brother. Thank you to all of the other vets, AD, and LEO on here. I loved the military and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Broken Vet

Sep 10, 2017
Visit site
Broken Vet,

I that a picture of the F-15? I worked those for 22 years. Was the best A/C in the active AF!

Yes!!! I also worked on them. B-Shop. I have to agree, best a/c in the AF. I miss the craziness of the flight line. Not often I come across a fellow eagle keeper. Have any hydraulic fluid that I could use to moisten my skin and give it that nice sheen?

Stuman1

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Microfiber cloth or foaming glass cleaners. I have a plastic screen protector. So it's mostly a wipe with the microfiber cloth.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
When the oleophobic coating has worn off on my phones, I always apply a couple of coats of rain-x. Yes, It's meant apply a hydrophobic coating on glass but it also works pretty good on my phone displays. Apply and wipe in, wait till dry then polish. I do this twice. The glass will seem really slippery the first few days. Smudges are a lot easier to wipe off with a layer of rain-x. If your phone gets wet, that water will bead right off.

Last edited:

gizzypeach

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I never put that much thought into cleaning my phone. I just wipe it on my boob (prefer the soft cotton to the rough jeans fabric). And if it gets really dirty I use a little bit of water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001