How does fingerprint unlock work on 6P and 5X?

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Do you have to hit the power button in addition to the fingerprint scanner or is the scanner also a button? Or is it just always waiting for you to touch it?

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
In another thread (or maybe a hands on, I can't remember), I saw someone say that you do not need to hit the power button. The fingerprint scanner will wake the phone all on its own.

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Based on what the hands-on videos have said, it should work with just a touch. If you've seen the OnePlus 2's fingerprint scanner, it works the same way. It's not a clickable button, but there's no need to wake the phone first.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, sounds like the scanner is active all the time. Should make for a pretty natural gesture taking it out of the pocket.

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, sounds like the scanner is active all the time. Should make for a pretty natural gesture taking it out of the pocket.

It is always active. Just tap it and it will wake/unlock at the same time. I wonder if there's any settings to control its actions, however.

Posted via the Android Central App

Paul Nevin

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
How well is the scanner going to work with a case? I see cases online that say they are for either the 6 or the 6P...I'd assume those would cover the scanner and can't really be for both....

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
How well is the scanner going to work with a case? I see cases online that say they are for either the 6 or the 6P...I'd assume those would cover the scanner and can't really be for both....

I'd assume they have a cutout for the scanner.

Might be a bit more difficult to access but will work.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

The 6 and 6P are different sizes. I don't think the scanner will work if it's covered up.

****EDIT: The 6 has the curved back and the 6P has a flat back... even if they were exactly the same size, which I seriously doubt, but I did not check... a 5.7" screen on the 6P is not the same as a 6" screen on the 6.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I'd assume they have a cutout for the scanner.

Might be a bit more difficult to access but will work.

How?

Dimensions
Nexus 6: 159.3 x 83 x 10.1 mm (6.27 x 3.27 x 0.40 in)
Nexus 6P: 159.3 x 77.8 x 7.3 mm (6.27 x 3.06 x 0.29 in)

Would anyone really want a case that was not built for your device?

Zehata

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
Most likely China cheap cases companies who thought that Nexus goes with the Apple naming system. Ie 6 has same size as 6s so they thought that n6 is the same as n6p

Adamd1169

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Most likely the op misread the case description and it didn't say it worked with 2 different sized phones. Or the item description was wrong. Either way the cases aren't gonna be compatible with both phones.

Posted via the Android Central App