How good is deX

anon(9918034)

Well-known member
May 19, 2016
957
1
0
Visit site
It's been a while since I have posted over here, been playing in the apple camp lately. Samsung isn't my top manufacture nor will they ever be my number one choice. Things important to me Samsung doesn't offer(timely updates)

I have been trying to find a device that can encompass everything I do. Thats where I feel dex comes into play. I absolutely hate luging around my MacBook Pro. I know that it isn't going to completely replace my computer. I don't do anything graphically intensive nor do I game on a pc. All I do is check emails watch some youtube videos and do my online classes. I want to declutter myself from so many electronic devices. Yes I do have a desktop, that way I can do what a phone can't do.

For those that have used dex would you say that the note 9 is capable of replacing a MacBook Pro for what I need it for? If yes who wants to buy a MacBook Pro 2017 no Touch Bar haha
 

boltsbearsjosh

Well-known member
Sep 4, 2016
522
0
0
Visit site
Dex can probably do what you're looking to do and as long as you stay within what you stated you should be okay. I bought the Tab S4 (I'm a Samsung die hard) with the keyboard and I would say it's my favorite tablet I've ever owned, which is every iPad.
 

iFortWorth

Well-known member
May 16, 2013
504
0
0
Visit site
Dex can probably do what you're looking to do and as long as you stay within what you stated you should be okay. I bought the Tab S4 (I'm a Samsung die hard) with the keyboard and I would say it's my favorite tablet I've ever owned, which is every iPad.
I know this is off the original topic. But thanks for that information. After the first batch of release videos showed up, they weren't that impressed.
 

boltsbearsjosh

Well-known member
Sep 4, 2016
522
0
0
Visit site
I know this is off the original topic. But thanks for that information. After the first batch of release videos showed up, they weren't that impressed.

Yeah. I think its kind of a shame what is happening with the Samsung tablets. The S3 was a pretty decent tablet as well. I think iPad has just destroyed any hope of Android tablets every gaining any kind of momentum at all you know, if someone wants a tablet 99% of the time they go buy an iPad. The thing with the Tab S4 reviews is everything was based on numbers. Nobody talked at all about the actual experience - I didn't see one review besides Saki's that talked about how great this display is. It was all just "Oh it has the 835, oh it has 4GB of ram, oh it doesn't have a trackpad..." like sometimes I have to just wonder like, what are people really trying to do with these tablets. Are people REALLY expecting to be able to use something like this as their main PC? You know what I mean? You really have to set your expectations accordingly - that's why I hate that Apple used the "Pro" name with the iPad because how can a media consumption device be or need to be a "Pro" category device?

Anyway, with that said, I think the Tab S4 is great. If you know its limitations, if you plan to use it for browsing, media consumption, some light productivity tasks - Dex is great. The fact that you can switch between the Android system and Dex on the fly - that's legit.

People were raising hell about the price being $650 and having to add the keyboard for another $150, but if you buy them both at Best Buy you get $75 off the keyboard at checkout. Besides, how much do you pay for a TV? A few hundred dollars at minimum for something decent. How much do you pay for an iPad? A few hundred dollars at minimum. I just don't understand what price point people are expecting - what, $350 for this thing? Come on....

Sorry, I didn't mean to go on a rant. At the end of the day the Tab S4 is basically doomed out of the gate for no fault of its own and will probably have a very very niche audience. But I would say that if you're in the market for a new tablet and you want to try something other than iPad's that can offer a few more features - I would pick this one.
 

chyeo1979

Well-known member
Jan 19, 2014
696
0
0
Visit site
It's been a while since I have posted over here, been playing in the apple camp lately. Samsung isn't my top manufacture nor will they ever be my number one choice. Things important to me Samsung doesn't offer(timely updates)

I have been trying to find a device that can encompass everything I do. Thats where I feel dex comes into play. I absolutely hate luging around my MacBook Pro. I know that it isn't going to completely replace my computer. I don't do anything graphically intensive nor do I game on a pc. All I do is check emails watch some youtube videos and do my online classes. I want to declutter myself from so many electronic devices. Yes I do have a desktop, that way I can do what a phone can't do.

For those that have used dex would you say that the note 9 is capable of replacing a MacBook Pro for what I need it for? If yes who wants to buy a MacBook Pro 2017 no Touch Bar haha

Dex on Tab S4 might be able to replace your macbook a little. But on Note 9, how are you going to find a monitor with keyboard and mouse (preferably)? If you can find all these, chances are there is a fully functional PC there for you to use.
 

anon(9918034)

Well-known member
May 19, 2016
957
1
0
Visit site
Dex on Tab S4 might be able to replace your macbook a little. But on Note 9, how are you going to find a monitor with keyboard and mouse (preferably)? If you can find all these, chances are there is a fully functional PC there for you to use.

I have a MacMini and I use my tv as a monitor, so I already have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I just hate having to lug around a laptop. Its just one more thing I have to worry about. With the note I feel that it is big enough to be able to read my books on and take tests on. If I absolutely need to I can always fall back on my MacMini. If I'm some where where I have to wait its way easier to pull out a phone and read/study than it is to bust out a damn laptop. I feel the the note 9 just might be that all in one device I have been looking for.
 

Blasted_1

Well-known member
Nov 21, 2013
67
0
0
Visit site
I recently started down the DeX path, and so far, I'm kind of impressed.

My needs from when I was a 21 year-old to now have completely changed (pushing 39) so when I thought I wanted my gaming laptop for home and work, it became too much of a pain in the arse to haul around, especially when I'm trying to ride my bike to work and back, and I've got kids that already game enough. LOL

With that said, I bought the same cheapy hub that NIZMOZ44 suggests up top, for my Note 8, and damn...it works great for 90% of what I do at work (emails, quoting, messaging, web browsing, videos, etc..). My laptop now takes up a spot on my desk for the other 10% which DeX can't do (WiFi predictive surveys, print to the old office MFP).

Now if the DeX Dual Screen comes over to the Note 8 (wishful thinking) I'm set. My biggest complaint about DeX has/was been the fact that you take away the best part of the Note: using the stylus. I like writing notes when talking with clients, and then exporting the written words to OneNote.

There are quirks to get around, but whatever. In a couple of days, I've got over them and really liking the setup.
 

boltsbearsjosh

Well-known member
Sep 4, 2016
522
0
0
Visit site
I recently started down the DeX path, and so far, I'm kind of impressed.

My needs from when I was a 21 year-old to now have completely changed (pushing 39) so when I thought I wanted my gaming laptop for home and work, it became too much of a pain in the arse to haul around, especially when I'm trying to ride my bike to work and back, and I've got kids that already game enough. LOL

With that said, I bought the same cheapy hub that NIZMOZ44 suggests up top, for my Note 8, and damn...it works great for 90% of what I do at work (emails, quoting, messaging, web browsing, videos, etc..). My laptop now takes up a spot on my desk for the other 10% which DeX can't do (WiFi predictive surveys, print to the old office MFP).

Now if the DeX Dual Screen comes over to the Note 8 (wishful thinking) I'm set. My biggest complaint about DeX has/was been the fact that you take away the best part of the Note: using the stylus. I like writing notes when talking with clients, and then exporting the written words to OneNote.

There are quirks to get around, but whatever. In a couple of days, I've got over them and really liking the setup.

Yeah Dex is pretty great. I remember when it first came out I thought "man I really hope Samsung sticks with this because while its a hard sell right now, it has potential" and Its great to see them sticking with this. I had a feeling they were either going to push this or the Gear VR and I'm really glad to see them going with Dex....VR is cool but I think the Dex technology just has more usefulness. I bought the Tab S4 and replaced my iPad with it mainly because it has Dex built in.
 

KillerQ

Well-known member
Feb 23, 2011
1,091
24
0
Visit site
I know Samsung is going to sell their own USB C to HDMI cable, but any other decent cable should serve the same purpose for DEX, correct?
 

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
941,271
Messages
6,907,715
Members
3,157,841
Latest member
garfildd