How important are security updates?

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi all, I’m contemplating getting an android tablet, however, I’m aware that security update wise for these is pretty much non existent. The one I viewed in a shop for sale had no security updates since 2015 and no updates pending (a Samsung WiFi tab s2).

I would imagine it’s a similar story with other tablets too.

So how vulnerable is a tablet without any recent security updates likely to be? The other option is I simply get an iPad which at least I know will get os and security updates despite my frustrations with them.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It really depends. Technically if there is a vulnerability -- it is vulnerable. The chances of someone taking advantage of it on your particular device? Depends.

I am one for security. When I was younger I didn't care as much and used whatever... now that I am older I am pretty much a direct from Google guy (current phone is a Google Pixel 2 XL) or Apple stuff. Those two stay the most up to date when it comes to security. Samsung and them try but aren't always on the ball.. especially with carriers being involved in some of those updates.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I definitely think that security updates are important; but user safety is also significant. You are protecting yourself when you don't visit weird sites or click on weird links or pop-ups - so that alone will help you! But if security updates are indeed important to you, then I'd recommend getting something like an iPad where updates are guaranteed.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I think because more and more of our lives are digital, security is more paramount than ever before. I think it should play a part in everyone's purchasing decisions with tech devices.

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Would it be fair to say the consensus is to avoid buying an android tablet then? That they are simply not secure enough?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I think the monthly patches are important, they wouldn't develop them if there was no reason for doing so. The device you mention in your first post is old - in fact, it's not the most recent Tab S# released by Samsung (the Tab S3 takes that crown) and is 3 years old at this point so it's not likely to get any new updates. The Tab S3 is due for Oreo, VERY soon, and is on the March patch level but was only updated to that level after SIX MONTHS of dormancy to include the time when KRACK was discovered.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Would it be fair to say the consensus is to avoid buying an android tablet then? That they are simply not secure enough?
I'd have to agree with that. I don't own a tablet but if I wanted one.. to be honest.. I'd snag an iPad Pro. Without question :).

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Nothing is safe if its not used safely.

The first and most significant level of security is safe usage. Security updates are important but I don't think they should be relied on. Stay off the pron sites, P2P, bitorent, minimize downloads, dont stream video from just anywhere. Dont download apps you don't absolutely need and turn off permissions/notifications/background activity. Don't click on unfamiliar URL links.

FWIW my kids us iPads for school and YT videos... I preach the above to them and we have never had a problem. No first hand experience with Android.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Nothing is safe if its not used safely.

The first and most significant level of security is safe usage. Security updates are important but I don't think they should be relied on. Stay off the pron sites, P2P, bitorent, minimize downloads, dont stream video from just anywhere. Dont download apps you don't absolutely need and turn off permissions/notifications/background activity. Don't click on unfamiliar URL links.

FWIW my kids us iPads for school and YT videos... I preach the above to them and we have never had a problem. No first hand experience with Android.

I couldn't agree with you more!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Security updates are like insurance... I sure as hell would love to never have to have to use it, but I'd rather have them and not need it then need it and not have it.

All it takes is one nasty but of malware making the rounds and have some loser steal my credit card or bank info, etc. Makes for a really bad day.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I don't use my phone for anything but a phone... I don't surf on it, stream on it, bank on it, game on it... you get the picture. The only app I've installed on it is Fitbit. I have a cheap disposable Android tablet with a throwaway Gmail account and no information of any kind on it that I surf and stream on. The worst that can happen is I have to factory reset it...or possibly toss it ;-)

I don't use any of my important devices for web surfing anymore. You can't count on Android to protect you from squat unless you own a pixel, then you're only covered for 3 years and time to spend a grand on another phone :-(

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't use my phone for anything but a phone... I don't surf on it, stream on it, bank on it, game on it... you get the picture. The only app I've installed on it is Fitbit. I have a cheap disposable Android tablet with a throwaway Gmail account and no information of any kind on it that I surf and stream on. The worst that can happen is I have to factory reset it...or possibly toss it ;-)

I don't use any of my important devices for web surfing anymore. You can't count on Android to protect you from squat unless you own a pixel, then you're only covered for 3 years and time to spend a grand on another phone :-(
Or 650 bucks. Pixel doesn't start at a grand.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Not the paranoid type so not that important. I mean if it's there great but I'm not waiting or checking for it.

Will91W

May 9, 2018
Visit site
They are important but as far as hacking goes, windows is the top targeted OS. Its mainly common sense when using any device that connects to the internet. Don't go on any sites you don't trust and don't download anything that looks suspicious.

I used windows for years and never had one virus and never used an anti virus either.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
They are important but as far as hacking goes, windows is the top targeted OS. Its mainly common sense when using any device that connects to the internet. Don't go on any sites you don't trust and don't download anything that looks suspicious.

I used windows for years and never had one virus and never used an anti virus either.

Hmm, I didn't know that Windows was the most targeted OS; but I suppose that does make sense.

anon(10388027)

Jan 4, 2018
Visit site
When is the last major hack of Android phones? That's right... There have never been any!

I don't deny security is important, but the mobile security industry sells fear. There is no need for antivirus on an Android phone if you don't jailbreak your phone and download from unauthorized sources.

The Android vulnerabilities typically found... But never exploited by criminals.... usually require physical access to your phone.

Weak passwords are far more dangerous than any existing Android security threats.

Security patch updates for Android occur monthly, and can be delayed by your mobile carrier or by manufacturer.

The monthly update to my Samsung Note 8 in Canada is always exactly one month behind its official release... It's not a big deal, because Samsung also includes free mobile security software through the device manager app... I don't run it often... I use device manager to clear RAM mrmory and storage.

Mobile security threats are grossly overstated...

The majority of Android phone users worldwide are running Marshmallow OS and no longer receive monthly security patches... And it isn't a problem.