How is the GPS on the Galaxy S3?

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
The gps is excellent but with every gps phone I've had I've found you always need to recalibrate it occasionally and the same applies here. I've installed a free app from the market called gps status and it has a "tools" menu that let's you calibrate the gps. Every time I find it's not pointing exact or positioning 100% I simply do the quick calibration and it's back to perfect positioning.

Rev.

minnieusa

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I just moved to galaxy III from droidx and it was essential to get a cell that had the navigation. after downloading the navigation, the icon with light blue line thru it this app works on my phone just like it did on the Droid x. I use this GPS exclusively throughout Nv, CA and utah

Sent from my AT100 using Android Central Forums

Sailmaker

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I just moved to galaxy III from droidx and it was essential to get a cell that had the navigation. after downloading the navigation, the icon with light blue line thru it this app works on my phone just like it did on the Droid x. I use this GPS exclusively throughout Nv, CA and utah

What Navigation APP is that?

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I'm due for a Phone Upgrade next month. Still sporting a Droid X and very happy with it. I've started doing some research on the phones available now and see the Samsung GS3 Is getting a lot of Praise. I remember when deciding on my Droid X, that the Samsung Fascinate's GPS was horrible. Kind of heard that a lot with Samsung phones. Is this the Case with the Galaxy S3? I live in a Chicago suburb and never had any problems with my Motorola Droid X with GPS. Considering looking at the Razr Maxx or Waiting For the Droid Fighter if GPS is a problem on the Galaxy S3. Anyone having Problems with theirs?

Apparently they fixed it.

When I first got it,I couldn't get a signal but I don't know what changed but it worked perfectly before I flashed a custom Rom and its still working perfectly

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

minnieusa

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I came from the Droid x too and had to have the GPS. it is on the galaxy III. IT IS called navigation just the same as the Droid. although when you go into the play store it does not show it.

pakmansi

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I had issues with mine and got a replacement under warranty. My old one must have had a bad GPS antenna or something. If you suspect your GPS isn't working properly, compare it with someone else that also has the same phone. My new one works perfectly and it even gets a strong signal indoors.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
on a few occasions including yesterday, I needed to get home from a place that was hard to find. I turned on my garmin and waited while it was searching for satellites. Someone needed to follow me so really quick I clicked the navigate to home icon I set up on my GS3 and it locked in a second or two. It took over two minutes of driving and a few turns before my garmin found a signal. I've been very pleased with the gps on this phone.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Fan-freaking-tastic, especially out in areas with low-to-zero cell signal. Some wonky directions sometimes, (ie make you drive right around the block right past where you're going), but I've had wonky directions on my Garmin GPS as well, so no biggie.

Roffles

May 7, 2010
Visit site
While travelling on Monday, I was leaving the airport parking structure in a rental car -- I queued up my destination in Google navigation and the phone immediately paused the guidance while searching for GPS. As soon as I left the garage and the sky showed itself, I got an instant GPS lock-on and was on my way. I've also used the GPS for extended trail hikes using My Tracks to record my journey. It hardly uses any battery and records my hikes very accurately. The GPS on this phone is a winner.

jnnyr

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I think the GPS works as it does on the iPhone in that it uses a combination of satellite and wifi locations to get a position. If you used satellite only it would take forever to get a lock. That would explain why some are getting faster or more accurate locks than others.
Actually nothing could be further from the truth. I have been in the High Sierra's for a week, miles from any cell signal (or human) and had to rely solely
on the GPS with Back Country Navigator and it worked flawlessly. It can take time to connect to the Sats as it used to on my Droid X but no better or worse.

dzguy

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I drive a LOT and would use the GPS almost constantly. How much data per hour does this use?
Thank you veru much for the help!

ponch301

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I drive a LOT and would use the GPS almost constantly. How much data per hour does this use?

I wonder about this to. Am i buring up my data when using the GPS feature?
When I did try and use the GPS, the screen timed out after a minute. How do I get the GPS to stay on without using a car dock?
I would like to mount my GS3 to my motorcycle and utulize the GPS and music player at the same time for longer rides. Will the be possible, haven't tried it yet?

Kutuzov13

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Some Verizon Galaxy SIII's are reporting GPS problems. I'm experiencing it on my phone. I went to Verizon and they admitted there is no fix. I decided to reset the phone to see if it would fix the problem. It didn't. Later that day the recent Verizon update for the SGIII came out. I installed it and wiped the phone again hoping that the update might contain a GPS fix. It didn't. I think the SG3 is a great phone. However, if you buy one check out the GPS before you leave the store. Otherwise, you can only get a refurbished one.

Sent from my SG3 using Android Central Forums

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

Not enough for me to notice to and from work. If you're worried about data, then just buy CoPilot for $15 or whatever it costs where you are, go into (in App) Settings and turn off all location services. Then it uses NMEA data.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossfrey