How Long Has Samsung Known?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Oh, they could. It has happened to others. Class action suits will take a company down quickly. NO one is too big to fail. Lots of historical examples. Think back to 2007 in the US and the biggies that had to be bailed out. And, heaven forbid they do fail because I love their products, they have been having issues financially. This will deal a big blow as it is.
No basis for class action suit if only 35 blew up and others are replaced.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Oh, they could. It has happened to others. Class action suits will take a company down quickly. NO one is too big to fail. Lots of historical examples. Think back to 2007 in the US and the biggies that had to be bailed out. And, heaven forbid they do fail because I love their products, they have been having issues financially. This will deal a big blow as it is.
Actually, Samsung is ginormous. Samsung Mobile is just one of the many sub-divisions of divisions of the Samsung group. Here are some of the Samsung divisions.
  • Samsung Electronics
  • Samsung C&T Corporation
  • Samsung Heavy Industries
  • Samsung SDS
  • Samsung Life Insurance
  • Samsung Fire and Marine Insurance

And the Electronics division has quite a few.
  • Samsung Display
  • Samsung Mobile
  • Samsung Semiconductor

Yes, this will hurt Samsung's mobile profits. But the entire company is just too damn big to fall now.

Mine manufactured August 9 and in my hands August 19
Mine was manufactured on the 8th of August. Got into my hands on the 18th.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Completely and totally False. There have been documented cases of MASSIVE recalls and billions paid to do it without failure to the company.

Look at VW. You know what happened there right and how they are handling EVERY VW sold over 3 years that they doctored emissions on right?

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
You do realize that Samsung doesn't just make phones, right? They also make other phones besides Notes and S series. As well as other electronic equipment for other companies.

And Fridges, and TVs, and washer dryers...mobile might be hurt a little, but from what I see here, those of us who love the Note, love it, and are willing to cut Samsung a little slack, especially since they seem to be on top of this.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
For Samsung to have new updated phones out to carriers and distributors within 4 weeks even, it would seem to me that they had to have known about this even since launch possibly. You just cant logistically make new phones and get them into the pipeline/ distributed taking into account shipping in such a short time.

Not true at all. Advanced manufacturers can make very significant changes in a matter of hours. And it is not clear that this is a very significant change. If they have multiple suppliers of the same part and one supplier's part is defective, it is fairly easy to make the needed changes.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
You mean replaced on machines that did not leave the factory and into dealers stores right? If so I can't imagine they had a huge stock sitting in factory... Apple ships iPhones the moment made from China to stores within days.

They are not getting unopened stock back from dealers and replacing the batteries and reshipping as new.
Correct... the devices that have not been shipped (the reason for the original halt in shipments) and even the devices that have been shipped for retail stock, have all been pulled and presumably are being sent back to Samsung.

Devices that have not moved to retailers, as of Sept 2. are supposed to have been fitted with the new battery to replace the faulty batteries. Basically anything still in the process of building or in factories would have new batteries as of Sept. 2.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
For Samsung to have new updated phones out to carriers and distributors within 4 weeks even, it would seem to me that they had to have known about this even since launch possibly. You just cant logistically make new phones and get them into the pipeline/ distributed taking into account shipping in such a short time.
Samsung has factories.

I'm thinking many people here have never been inside a factory before. This isn't an unusual question at all on here.

Factories mass produce and have high number production requirements. They aren't building each phone one by one and they only need the new batteries which were probably made the first of this week.

They literally have boxes and boxes of phone parts made.

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
They literally have boxes and boxes of phone parts made.

This ^

It costs about the same to make 1 unit as it does to make a full run. Depending on the equipment, that could be as high as 10,000 units. Since it means reprogramming and reconfiguring the assembly line when you make a new part, they will make multiple runs until they have made enough to fill their total sales estimate.

The cost of the glass and metal and components is not a factor, and they will have most every part for every Note 7 that they will ever sell sitting in a box on a pallet in a warehouse. It's cheaper to recycle the material for the ones that don't sell than it is to not make them all at once.

And for the record, Samsung is also a defense contractor. Chances are they make enough money building things to kill people that they can lose money on every other department and still be very profitable.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Samsung is a great company. They will overcome this. I am a very long time Samsung consumer. This will not haunt my use

Posted via the Android Central App