how long was battery life on lollipop?

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
How can I find out how long my phone made it with one charge? It doesn't give me that info any more unless I am looking in the wrong place

Posted via the Android Central App

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I measure how good my battery did by looking at screen "time on". Go to settings > battery and then click on screen. You should see the time there. I have been getting around 5 hours of screen "on time" on a single charge.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I measure how good my battery did by looking at screen "time on". Go to settings > battery and then click on screen. You should see the time there. I have been getting around 5 hours of screen "on time" on a single charge.

But that doesn't tell us how long the phone had been running since unplugged like it used to. Why would they get rid of that?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-08-23-09-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-08-23-09-17.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot_2015-04-08-23-09-22.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-08-23-09-22.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 123

naira1

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Why would they remove that? I live by that daily

Question is, who's to blame for that Samsung or Verizon? We won't know until we know if other variants (Sprint, t mobile etc) have this removed as well.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Just real world use. I check it my screen time every night before I plugged my phone in, and it was at 3ish hours. Plus I usually keep it on for 14 hours before I have to charge it.

I know it's easy to figure it out but why should we have to when all you had to do is look at the information.

I have gsam but I just find it odd that it doesn't tell me anymore

IronCat21

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure why you quoted me.. lol

I was using Gsam for a few days and it absolutely destroyed my battery life. I was at 15% by 4pm. I uninstalled it and my battery life is back up.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
What app do yall recommend to monitor the battery that doesn't affect the battery drastically? The one built in is useless for me

DNAndroid

May 9, 2015
Visit site
YES I'm resurrecting this ~5 month old thread.
This is one of the only threads/results that shows up on Google regarding this issue, and is how I even stumbled upon this thread.

Since the problem behind this thread was never answered, and I ended up finding the answer to it, I'm posting this so that others may know about it.

(skip to The Solution if you're not confused about the point of this thread)

The problem:
Prior to Lollipop (i.e. Android 5.0), on Kit Kat you were able to see how long you had been running your current battery, very easily and in a very straightforward way - go to your Settings > Battery > DONE (showed right there very plainly how long you'd been on your current battery for).
For some completely genius reason, however, Google(? it may turn out yet that it's carrier specific - I have Verizon as well) decided to hide this away. It is completely stupid to otherwise have to now download a battery monitor or manager app just to see this incredibly basic statistic that was previously told to us!

Why this is an issue:
For many people, we like to see how long we've been able to go on a certain battery cycle. This has many very obvious implications. It lets you compare battery life between batteries if you have multiple ones (you know, because this sexy Note 4 actually LETS you swap your battery for a fresh 100% one in seconds rather than living the life of a wall hugger?). OR, you can see if <downloading this app> significantly altered how much battery life you were getting? OR, you can see how much <using your phone this way, or this much more> affects your battery life.

The Solution:
It's actually very simple.
To see how long you've been on your current battery cycle (i.e. how long your battery has lasted since you last swapped your battery out), you now need to utilize the stats from a random background process: Cell Standby
  • This is the process that tells you how long your phone's been capable of sending/receiving radio waves since it's been on (or, in other words.. been on - since both your mobile data AND your Wi-Fi use radio waves, each independently).

So that's it. Pretty stupid, I know. So basically with this it's only 1 extra screen away from where it was before (right there at the Battery screen) - you just now tap the "Cell Standby" app to display it's extra, insightful info. Obviously powering the phone off would reset this timer, but that's always the case and it's not like we have any normal (regular) reason to randomly turn off the phone, except to actually swap out the battery.

Hope this helps. Hello Googlers!

Evidence
My Battery Time + Screen-On time BEFORE I swapped my battery out:
6Vdolfa.png

Timestamp showing when I swapped my battery (proof of time):
SeOCowg.png

My Battery Time + Screen-On time AFTER I swapped my battery out:
8wQ0SfL.png
  • As you can see, this proves that this actually shows how long you've been on your current battery! Which is exactly the feature that they, for whatever genius reason, got rid of! You can see that if you subtract the "Time on" # from the time in that photo it will lead back to exactly the time in Pic #2's timestamp (1:52 PM minus 1 minute 28 seconds) - which was when I started using that battery!
  • One interesting thing you may notice is that when you FIRST turn on your device it seems to be aware of when you turned it on (Timestamp photo: it says "<this many minutes + seconds>" on battery), however after a little bit of time for whatever genius reason that goes away and they think you can tell how long your phone's been on by looking at some humongous graph. Might as well toss something into the sun and ask us to spot it.

Regards,
- DNAndroid

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
There are reasons I'm still on Kitkat! This is one of the first things I noticed when my phone got updated to Lollipop. Then again, it's not really Lollipop, but rather the yokos at Verizon who decided this was a good move! Dummies!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38