How much of a difference does .2 GHz make?

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
not saying i wont buy it, i probably will because it should be the best phone (4g and spec wise) on verizon until the end of this year....i just hope i can type as fast on the touch screen as ive done on the og droid qwerty
I thought I would miss my QWERTY keyboard when I got the Thunderbolt but having a bigger screen definitely makes it easier to type on.

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
i know but i txt at least 50-100 messages a day i just hope the speed is there

I'm not sure if you have an OG Droid now or not, but I suggest trying out a few keyboards on the market and try getting used to a virtual keyboard. Takes a period of adjustment, but you'll probably be typing just as fast in a few weeks.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I agree with irl Panda, use other keyboards from the market and your sure to find one that suits your typing style. I use SwiftKey and its great, accurate and efficient.

Sent from my wildheroc using Tapatalk

Friend-O

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Have fun with your overblown/oversaturated un-natural colors! :D

I had a charge and was not happy with how overdone the colors were with the AMOLED. Like they took a big box of crayons and used the most outrageous colors that no one ever uses for the color pallet.

You can actually adjust the saturation on the GS2 to suit your preferences (not on the Charge though)...so there! :p

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
You can actually adjust the saturation on the GS2 to suit your preferences (not on the Charge though)...so there! :p

I have heard that stated many times but have yet to find any info on it. Even downloaded the GS2 user manual and found no mention of that setting anywhere in it.

Do you have sources for this information?

Grumple

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
i know but i txt at least 50-100 messages a day i just hope the speed is there

Don't worry, I text almost constantly throughout the day and generally do anywhere between 200 and 500 texts per day. After a few days with a virtual keyboard it becomes pretty easy. And I'm doing it on a tiny enV Touch with fat fingers! :p

Friend-O

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I have heard that stated many times but have yet to find any info on it. Even downloaded the GS2 user manual and found no mention of that setting anywhere in it.

Do you have sources for this information?

Yes, here's some sources:

Samsung Samsung Galaxy S2 review | Expert Reviews

"The screen also has extremely wide viewing angles and you can adjust colour saturation."

Samsung Galaxy S2 Android Phone – Reviews, Specs, Ratings

"Also users are given a choice in the screen setting called ?Background Effect? that has three saturation modes on offer: Standard, Dynamic and Movie ? that has colour intensity in the descending order."

Samsung Galaxy S II review -- Engadget

"A lesser criticism of the original Galaxy S was that its colors were a little blown out and oversaturated, but that's once again rendered moot on the successor device -- a software setting called Background effect allows you to tweak saturation, so if you're feeling a little melancholy, you can tone down the intensity of your handset's colors to match your ennui."

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the information.

"Background Effects" is not a very intuitive name for a feature that sets color saturation on my opinion.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the information.

"Background Effects" is not a very intuitive name for a feature that sets color saturation on my opinion.

As long as it works is what I say. Was a brilliant move on Samsungs part though.

Now if they could get something similar for the Bionic and its pixelation . Call it "Degaussing Effects "

I'm kidding I'm kidding. Don't get mad :)

Sent from my Droid

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
As long as it works is what I say. Was a brilliant move on Samsungs part though.

Now if they could get something similar for the Bionic and its pixelation . Call it "Degaussing Effects "

I'm kidding I'm kidding. Don't get mad :)

Sent from my Droid

LOL always have to get a jab in eh CK?

Well, they put some rudimentary controls in, it remains to be seen how well they actually work.

I find it interesting that 'Normal' is more saturated than 'Dynamic' must need all that saturation for some reason.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Trailblazen copy and paste your question in the GS2 area. As you already observed this is the Bionic thread and not an appropriate discussion. Just edit your post when done...

Sent from my Droid

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
While there has been some bashing and trolling most of us have just been comparing/contrasting what should be 2 awesome android phones in VZW's lineup.

While I personally am leaning towards the Bionic because I have always liked Motorola's build quality and reception I have not written off the GS2.

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Meh hindsight is an evil and cruel mistress. Went and got a drink and came back and reread my post. Can we say case of the mondays.

Edit: made the bad man (post) dissapear. wasn't necessary but needed to get that off my chest. Hope tomorrow won't be as rough as today was (heck its not monday LOL)

Last edited:

tmacfan4321

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
That's the point - it will NOT work like a D3 for the very reasons you listed...it does have the same processor, but with 1 meg of RAM, hopefully it will run even better; faster, smoother, etc. But with LTE and the larger screen, those could slow it down. The point is, we won't know how the Bionic will perform until we see it in action. 1 or 1.2, there are just too many other design features that affect performance.
RAM is only a limitation, so the Bionic won't be any smoother or faster than the D3 unless you are using all 512MB of the D3's RAM. The D3 and Bionic will perform similarly in most normal usage scenarios, with the exception of data speeds.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

BlueBiker

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
For tasks that are entirely CPU-bound (not reading/writing to storage or the network), a 20% clock rate boost for a particular CPU is probably just noticeable.

But as rkeller62 suggested, you can't directly compare clock speeds across different architectures / chipsets. For example, right now on the desktop it usually requires a 4GHz+ AMD CPU to beat a 3GHz Intel CPU. The opposite was true in the days of the Athlon64 and P4.

adinofaries

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
RAM is only a limitation, so the Bionic won't be any smoother or faster than the D3 unless you are using all 512MB of the D3's RAM. The D3 and Bionic will perform similarly in most normal usage scenarios, with the exception of data speeds.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapata,lk

Actually this isn't as linear as you make it out to be. Having a larger volume of ram is actually going to speed a system up in relation to another system with less ram due to the ability to build a larger data cache - even when both systems are using the same amount of memory