how much tethering time can u really use?

kristi

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
How much time can you realistically tether for free before the carrier finds out?

For example is an hour a day to much off keep it as minimal as possible and just use it when looking up certain things and don't use it for surfing a lot or games (simple games like Facebook games).

Or is it more like don't go extremely over data usage than you normally would so as not to throw up a red flag?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I would say don't go over the allowed usage and you will be fine.
I have to watch it because I am almost at 3 gb this week eek and the month just started!

hmmm

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
There is no limit unless you are using a 3G only phone, then it is 5GB. You can use as much as you want on a 4G phone. If you torrent all day they might realize something is up though, I am not sure. But for general browsing and other interweb activity tether away.

Obviously I don't work for Sprint and cannot be 100% sure. I am going by what other people on various forums have said and when I tether I do not think twice about whether they find out or not. The data is going through my phone so I am not really sure they can easily know. Having said that I tether very little because I don't need to.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, even if you go over the 5gb once or twice it's not a big deal. People say you get like a warning letter, etc. It's a softcap but would be enforced if abused like hmmmmm said.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I use tethering while in my class. I was using it for web surfing, email and I had 3 SSH sessions going and sprint doesnt care. When using an application like pdanet sprint doesnt know if youre using the phone or tethering the phone as their app isnt metering or telling them that its dialing out using the client. Ive been using pdanet for about 6+ years now and never once have I gotten an extra charge or issue filed from sprint. Now If I tethered my phone and used it for bittorrent 24/7 Im sure they would cap my speed then complain and/or shut down my phone's data. I have used my phone for the primary business internet connection when our main line went down and that was pretty extreme and I didnt get a complaint. I think youll be fine.

Reactions: haus and kristi

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OSCAR DE BUG