How safe is Intelligent Scan?

pxp3

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
It works great, very fast, but I can't find any security tests or reviews anywhere, neither YouTube nor the web.

It unlocks so fast that I fear it being too easy to cheat.

What do you think or what do you know? Any links to security reviews?

Thank you

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Intelligent scan is only as safe as the weakest part of it, which is Samsung's Facial scan. You can look for reviews of that. Intelligent scan is just basically the phone running both Face unlock and Iris unlock.

pxp3

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Yes I know, but how safe is it. Does anybody know of any tests or reviews on video to check it carefully?

This is an extremely important issue and seems like nobody cares. No YouTube tests at all, at least that I can find after lots of searching.

Weird. I really don't know what to do. It is super fast and comfortable to use it but safety of privacy is a super concern in case I lose it or gets stolen.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes I know, but how safe is it. Does anybody know of any tests or reviews on video to check it carefully?

This is an extremely important issue and seems like nobody cares. No YouTube tests at all, at least that I can find after lots of searching.

Weird. I really don't know what to do. It is super fast and comfortable to use it but safety of privacy is a super concern in case I lose it or gets stolen.

If security is that much of an issue for you, then you’re best bets would be fingerprint, or (if you’re worried about police [in the US] forcing you to unlock with your fingerprint) use pin.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

There are several tests on the Samsung Face Unlock. A simple Google search gives you several hits.
But the main point is, Facial Recognition is the least secure of the biometrics available on phones.
If you're worried about security, don't use Intelligent Scan or Face Unlock on Androids.

pxp3

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
So nobody knows anything at all and nobody cares.

Strange that this super important issue is ignored massively by the users as if nobody cared.

Are there bigger forums than these for asking?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
So nobody knows anything at all and nobody cares.

Strange that this super important issue is ignored massively by the users as if nobody cared.

Are there bigger forums than these for asking?
I gave you the answer. Intelligent scan is just running iris + facial scan at the same time. If a face OR iris registers it gets unlocked. Which means it's just as secure as facial unlock, which means it's NOT secure.
No matter where you go the answer is the same. The intelligent scan is just as insecure as Android face unlock. Not really sure you understood what I was saying.
Intelligent scan isn't some special unlock method that has additional security. If something can beat normal face unlock it can beat intelligent scan.
All Samsung face unlock reviews on the net applies to intelligent scan as well.

pxp3

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
That is not an answer, that is nothing, I don't know why you insist on repeating the same when you know nothing and provide zero links to tests and serious reviews from hacking and security sites.

Yes I know face unlock is less secure than fingerprint and iris, everybody knows that, it's in my original post, I'm not asking for the repeated opinion of a guy on the internet without any testing and security people reviews.

Please stop repeating your answer as someone might provide interesting information and you are putting them away with that repetitive thing as if it was enough.

medic22003

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
to be fair have you just considered that what chanchan told you is about as real as it's gonna get? that maybe what he said is the conclusion your hackers reached and no further data or statistics are necessary? face scan to me is nothing more than phone makers catering to the lazy. most of the biometrics are. I wake my phone with a finger print frequently but still need a pin after that. none of this is truly secure.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I already knew that, it's so obvious that it gets annoying. Nobody knows anything about this so far.
Lol. You're just refusing to accept the answer. Your phone already tells you that it can be opened by a photo of you (see attached screenshot).

Nobody does any tests on how secure it is because the people who made it already said it's not.

How do you test if facial unlock is secure? You test if it can be opened by a photo, or a 3D printed head. Wait, Samsung says a photo can open it. So basically anybody with a photo of you can open your phone. Why bother testing?

6ecc647baf59b0a9b1e2c16133d42c17.jpg

But if you insist. One company did test it. The S9 passed. But I still wouldn't really trust a single test when there are any number of other people testing it have failed.

https://www.consumentenbond.nl/veilig-internetten/gezichtsherkenning-te-hacken#no1

Here's a bunch of hackers fooling the scanning on the S8 with a photo and contact lenses. They said that they won't be testing the S9 because there is no change in the security methods used apart from Intelligent scan, which is just running both iris and facial at the same time.
https://www.ccc.de/en/updates/2017/iriden

Here's a video of t a guy using the methods CCC used on the S8 to unlock the S9:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcitt2GaNas

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital