How to block texts from email addresses? [Solved]

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I occasionally receive spam text messages (not emails, texts) where, instead of having a phone number displayed (which I could block) it shows an email address. Is there some magical way to block this junk? For text message spam and phone call spam coming from a phone number, I have a "frickin spammer" contact that I just add their number to. Any ideas? Verizon of course claims that its impossible for an email address to send me a spam (i.e. its not in their answer script so it doesn't exist).

Last edited:

ddog511

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: How to block texts from email addresses?

Are you sure it was a text message? In the past I had received something that could be similar, and found that it was the 'Talk' app. I disabled that and haven't had the issue since. Not saying that's what is happening to you, but it's a thought.

Droid Brick

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

I've received a few of these within the past year. I wish I knew what to tell you.

Posted via Android Central App

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

@ddog511: Yes, they come in the stock Messages app, and instead of having callback numbers (or Unknown), they have email addresses in that field. Obviously spoofed, but as far as I've been able to tell so far, unblockable.

@DroidBrick: Good! Well not good that you received them and don't know what to tell me, but good that someone else besides me has experienced this, so its not just my phone being possessed :)

Thanks again for the responses (current and future).

lopezj760

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

This is what the OP is talking about.
I wish I could block them too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1374284277941.jpg
    1374284277941.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 51

K_Daddy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

I blocked text from the Web using the verizon Web site. I also blocked premium text services.

Posted via My Note 2

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

K-Daddy, those choices block what I can do FROM my phone. They do not filter what spammers send TO my phone.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

Here's how to block text messages from the web and/or email:

1. Login to your account and hit MY VERIZON.
2. Choose VERIZON FAMILY SAFEGUARDS AND CONTROLS.
3. Choose INTERNET SPAM BLOCKING.
4. At the bottom of the number block list, choose BLOCK ALL TEXT MESSAGES SENT FROM THE WEB and BLOCK ALL TEXT MESSAGES FROM EMAIL .
5. Save and close.

You'll have to do this separately for every line on your account.

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

Aha! I didn't drill deep enough. I saw that it was enabled (green check) and didn't go into "edit". Thanks again!

K_Daddy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I was getting text from email addresses and I went to Verizon.Com on my computer. Look for call blocking, there's a link there to block text from email and Web. I haven't had a spam message since.

Posted via My Note 2

IrishSwtAngel87

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks!

I've also been getting texts from email addresses that were clearly spam and couldn't for the life of me figure out how to block them. It's weird though because most of the ones I get are just blank messages but are from spammy type email addresses at yahoo.

Went to the location in my Verizon account as directed above by underway99 and entered the current offending email address into the list of emails to block, since I've seen this one a few times. Not sure if it's new, but it appears that you can block up to 15 individual emails on your phone. So I'll see how that goes.... if I still get them from this guy then I'll check the box to block all emails.

Thanks for the help! I've only started seeing this within the last month or 2 on my phone and it's been driving me nuts.

Carlos Posada1

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
RESPONSE FOR SPRINT USERS . . .

FROM YOUR ACCOUNT'S MAIN PAGE GOT TO:
1.- MY PREFERENCES
2.- All about My Account
2.1.- Limits and Permissions
2.2.- Click Block Text
2.a.- Select the account or number to who you want to make the changes to (account users)
2.b.- Select Block only these numbers for inbound and outbound text messages
2.c.- enter the 10 to 19 digit number you want to block or the 4 to 8 digit fast code or the email address or domain address

:-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$
From your mobile phone:

Numbers can be added to this list by sending a text message to 9999 including the word Block and the phone number or short code or email address you'd like to add ... I am not pretty sure about being able to block the email address from your mobile
i test it but did not worked for me

:-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$

sweetamber84

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site

Here's how to block text messages from the web and/or email:

1. Login to your account and hit MY VERIZON.
2. Choose VERIZON FAMILY SAFEGUARDS AND CONTROLS.
3. Choose INTERNET SPAM BLOCKING.
4. At the bottom of the number block list, choose BLOCK ALL TEXT MESSAGES SENT FROM THE WEB and BLOCK ALL TEXT MESSAGES FROM EMAIL .
5. Save and close.

You'll have to do this separately for every line on your account.

I'm having this same problem. Someone is texting me from an email address. What are the steps for Boost mobile of any?

jconley350

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately, if you have an Android phone and your carrier is not Verizon, there's no simple way to block all text messages that are sent from email addresses. But I did find a work-around.

1. Tap "Messages".
2. Tap "More".
3. Tap "settings".
4. Tap "Block messages".
5. Tap "Block phrases".

In the "enter text" space, type in ".com", then tap the "+" sign to add it to your list of blocked phrases. Repeat this step for ".org", ".biz", ".edu" and any other web extension you can think of. Hopefully, this will solve the problem.

Last edited:

Becka Knaak

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
This worked from my Sprint phone. Thank you!

From your mobile phone:

Numbers can be added to this list by sending a text message to 9999 including the word Block and the phone number or short code or email address you'd like to add ... I am not pretty sure about being able to block the email address from your mobile

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol