Question How to delete Finder+ app?

Aug 4, 2018
Visit site
I'm still using an old ZTE Z558VL phone that I've had for years. It's running Android 7.1.1.

This evening I received an alert that sounded like a text message alert, but instead it turned out to be spam from an app called Finder+ which has apparently installed itself on my phone. The spam consisted of advertisements for apparel sold by Macy's.

I Googled for instructions on how to delete this app, but all I could find were complaints from folks like me who had found the app on their phones and who could find no way to delete it.

I'd be grateful for some help getting rid of this intrusive and annoying app.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
My search shows this app in the Googles Play Store...

I'm having a difficult time finding mentions of this being an uninstallable app. "Finder+" seems legit on Google's Play Store. If it is actually installed on your device you should be able to find it in your app list. Settings>Applications>scroll to Finder+? Do you find it in this list? What options do you have? Disable/Uninstall/Force Stop/Clear Data/Clear Cache?

If you don't find it in your app list it may be another app using the name to seem legit. The reason I say this is because looking at the Google app page for this app it appears to advertise games not apparel or stores.

How are these ads being displayed? If they are pop-ups try an app like Toast Source from the Play Store. Source @B. Diddy

Let us know what you find.

Reactions: B. Diddy

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's possible the app was preinstalled as bloatware. Go to Settings>Apps, and then tap the menu button and select Show System. Does it show up in the full app list?

Do you know who originally sold the phone? Was it a carrier/MVNO like Tracfone or Straight Talk? Or was it from one of those free government programs like Q Link? The free phones unfortunately often come with a lot of annoying bloatware that can't be uninstalled.

Reactions: VidJunky

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah when I looked it up those types of carriers were mentioned almost every time. I thought of mentioning it might have come with it except for the fact they say they've had it for years. Which made me think why would it suddenly come to life. Maybe they changed carriers and it woke up, but with no replies it's hard to know.

Aug 4, 2018
Visit site
was it from one of those free government programs like Q Link? The free phones unfortunately often come with a lot of annoying bloatware that can't be uninstalled.
I think you may have nailed it, B. Diddy. The phone was provided by Assurance Wireless as part of the Affordable Connectivity Program which provides cell phone service to low income folks like me. Here's how it shows up on my phone's home screen:

Finder Plus Screenshot 1.jpg

And here's what I see when I try to delete it.
Finder Plus Screenshot 2.jpg
The "Disable" button is greyed out and unresponsive. But if I click the "Force Stop" button I get this warning: "If you force stop an app it may misbehave."

So far this app has only intruded once, and that was when it first appeared on my phone a couple of days ago announcing its arrival with the text alert sound. So for now I guess I'll just "let sleeping dogs lie."

BTW, here's where I read complaints that there's no way to delete the app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apptap.appfinder.tracfone&hl=en_US&gl=US&pli=1

Aug 4, 2018
Visit site
How are these ads being displayed? If they are pop-ups try an app like Toast Source from the Play Store. Source @B. Diddy

Let us know what you find.
I'm not sure if the ads are pop-ups. Another one just arrived, triggering my text message alert sound. When I checked my phone I found the ad by swiping down from the top of the screen. Here's what i found:

Finder Plus Screenshot 3.jpg
Is that what you mean by a pop-up?

Whatever it's called, it's really annoying to have it triggering my text alert sound, so I'd like to find a way to disable it. Would you recommend I ignore the warning and try clicking the "FORCE STOP" button?

Attachments

• Finder Plus Screenshot 3.jpg
    Finder Plus Screenshot 3.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Finder Plus Screenshot 1.jpg
    Finder Plus Screenshot 1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 7

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I doubt even installing an ad blocker would work, if you'd even be able to install one at all. Providers of these free or reduced cost plans take it as carte blanche to deliver intrusive ads and reap the revenue. The first time I heard this was how they worked I was floored. The poster talked about ad after ad endlessly in the midst of any and every app hour after hour day in and day out. I thought surely they were exaggerating but soon many others chimed in to confirm this practice. They're basically little ad machines. This made no sense to me because why advertise so heavily to those who likely don't have the disposable income to spend on the ad item? How does that make sense?

I have never seen a solution posted here. Not saying I've seen it all, maybe one of the other members, then. I doubt you'll find much beyond having the phone in airplane mode 23 hours a day or just not using it except when needed.

Good luck though and best wishes.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure if the ads are pop-ups. Another one just arrived, triggering my text message alert sound. When I checked my phone I found the ad by swiping down from the top of the screen. Here's what i found:

View attachment 358113
Is that what you mean by a pop-up?

Whatever it's called, it's really annoying to have it triggering my text alert sound, so I'd like to find a way to disable it. Would you recommend I ignore the warning and try clicking the "FORCE STOP" button?
Force stop it if you can, if it's like most apps it'll stay forced stopped until you manually open it (which would be never lol), even after restarts. Although the way it's designed it'll probably start itself back up.

I would install a file explorer like Total Commander, and go into the Android folder and find that apps data files and delete them.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdaservices2000