Question Text Notification Sound Changes for Subsequent Messages

Aug 4, 2018
Visit site
I've had the same old cell phone for years, and just recently the text message notification sound has changed. My original notification sound was a loud doorbell "ding dong" sound. And that sound still works for the first message received from someone. But if that same person sends subsequent text message, then the sound changes to a barely audible high pitched "squeak" sound. I'm 80-years-old and have lost my hearing for high frequency sounds, so this new notification sound is often inaudible to me. Especially when I'm outdoors in a noisy environment, like riding my bicycle in traffic.

I've hunted around in my settings to try to find how to change that "subsequent message" notification sound, but haven't turned up anything.

I just checked the OS and it's apparently 7.1.1. The phone is a Tracfone model Z558VL.

I'd sure be grateful to anyone who could point me to a solution to this problem

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

Aug 4, 2018
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings>Apps, select your messaging app, then Notifications, and show us a screenshot of what you see. http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html
Thanks, B. Diddy, for that speedy, clear and concise reply. In the meantime I got sidelined by a series of debiltitating physical ailments, but I seem to be on the mend now, to the point where I can sit up in bed and type on my laptop again, so here's that screenshot you requested:

Android Messages App Notifications Settings.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, B. Diddy, for that speedy, clear and concise reply. In the meantime I got sidelined by a series of debiltitating physical ailments, but I seem to be on the mend now, to the point where I can sit up in bed and type on my laptop again, so here's that screenshot you requested:

View attachment 355578
Hi welcome to AC!
If you tap the gear icon what menu it takes you?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 355578
Just to be clear -- did you go to the Settings, then Apps first, then select Messages? Or did you go to Settings and then straight to Notifications?

Sorry to hear about your ailments -- glad you're doing better now!

Aug 4, 2018
Visit site
Just to be clear -- did you go to the Settings, then Apps first, then select Messages? Or did you go to Settings and then straight to Notifications?

Sorry to hear about your ailments -- glad you're doing better now!
Starting at what I call my Home Screen I clicked on Settings>Apps>Messages.

P.S. I don't seem to be receiving email notifications when replies to this thread are posted. So I'll make it a habit to check in here to this website regularly from now on.

P.PS. Thanks for the well-wishes! I just turned 80 and seem to be suddenly falling apart like the Scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz after the flying monkeys got ahold of him.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm -- do you have any other messaging apps installed, like Facebook Messenger? Some of those apps can also handle SMS text messages, so I would wonder if that was giving you a secondary notification tone that's separate from the Google Messages app's tone.

For email notifications, if you're using the forum website on a browser, tap your username and avatar at the upper right, then Preferences, and make sure "Automatically watch content you create", "Automatically watch content you interact with", and the "and receive email notifications" associated with both of those are checked.