How to disable a system update after it’s downloaded but before it’s installed?

diovanti

Aug 14, 2019
Visit site
I’m using a Galaxy Note 8 (SM-N950U) with Verizon. I’m getting a message saying that System Update 19 will be installed in four days or the next time I restart my phone.

I’d like to block further system updates, as I don’t like the constant UI changes. Updating could also make it more difficult to root this device in the future (I’ll want to modify the HOSTS file to block ads).

Any suggestions on how to put an end to forced system updates?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Never turn your phone off and don't go to sleep...

Seriously though, I don't believe so. Actually now that it has downloaded, the don't go to sleep thing is real. You're going to wake up one morning and there will be a splash screen saying that the phone has updated. It is unavoidable.

On the flip side if you truly never want to update your device again and want to learn a lot about Android you could root the device. If you're not tech savvy or really don't know or want to know that much about your device this isn't the route to take. A lot can go wrong if you get to tinkering and aren't exactly sure what you are doing, so I kind of offer this in jest but it would be a way to ensure the device acts exactly as you want, with exactly what you want on it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I’m using a Galaxy Note 8 (SM-N950U) with Verizon. I’m getting a message saying that System Update 19 will be installed in four days or the next time I restart my phone.

I’d like to block further system updates, as I don’t like the constant UI changes. Updating could also make it more difficult to root this device in the future (I’ll want to modify the HOSTS file to block ads).

Any suggestions on how to put an end to forced system updates?
https://www.packagedisabler.com/
No root needed and will stop the update.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
https://www.packagedisabler.com/
No root needed and will stop the update.
Judging by other users comments, make sure to buy it via the website, not from the Play store. It seems the Play store version is a cat and mouse game. It works, then something breaks and it's removed, it gets patched and re-listed as a new app, so you have to buy it again, lather, rinse, repeat. That doesn't seem to happen with the website purchased version.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Judging by other users comments, make sure to buy it via the website, not from the Play store. It seems the Play store version is a cat and mouse game. It works, then something breaks and it's removed, it gets patched and re-listed as a new app, so you have to buy it again, lather, rinse, repeat. That doesn't seem to happen with the website purchased version.
Yeah definitely, that's why I linked to direct website.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d