How to enable "install from unknown source"

xman1102

Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
The button to switch from disable to enable is grayed out and I can't switch it.

How to I turn that switch on?
962278944e01178333e40bf3efe85550.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
To activate Developer Options, go to Settings>About Phone and tap Build Number 7 times. Then go back to the main system settings, and you should see the Developer Options menu.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Don't need Developer Option. Oreo moved it out to two other places.

Apps > 3 : > Special Access
Also in Apps > Chrome at the bottom.

Not sure I'd ever need or want to offer Chrome the ability.

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
In Oreo the setting was moved to be application specific instead of global.

Settings -> Lock Screen and Security -> Install Unknown apps
Then you click on the application that you want to use to install this app. For instance if you are using "Samsung Internet" app to do it, click on "Samsung Internet" and click "Allow from this source"

JAWs85

Oct 25, 2018
Visit site
I've already activated developer option which is why I was saying that I couldn't find the relevant option within the developer settings.

I'm having the exact same problem as the original poster - all of the options are greyed out. I know where to find them, I just can't find out how to toggle the switch!!

JAWs85

Oct 25, 2018
Visit site
To activate Developer Options, go to Settings>About Phone and tap Build Number 7 times. Then go back to the main system settings, and you should see the Developer Options menu.

Hey Diddy,

Is there an option within the developer settings that i need to activate in order to give me the options in the 'Special Access' menu?

Thanks

JAWs85

Oct 25, 2018
Visit site
Hi xman1102,

I'm having the exact same problem. If you manage to get an answer to this, would you mind passing the info on? I've been trying to find an answer on Google for over a week now!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hey Diddy,

Is there an option within the developer settings that i need to activate in order to give me the options in the 'Special Access' menu?

Thanks

Different devices can do things slightly differently, so it's hard to say. If you have a Search option within your system settings menu, then search for "unknown" and see what comes up.

Also, can you confirm that you have an S9 as well?

JAWs85

Oct 25, 2018
Visit site
Unfortunately I can't find the reason why the options are greyed out and there doesn't seem to be any information out there on Google.

The fact that xman1102 is having the same problem means that it's definitely not just me....maybe it's coming from Samsung with their new devices? In which case, i think I need to switch away again!!!

JAWs85

Oct 25, 2018
Visit site
I found the answer xman!!

It has been answered previously on AndroidCentral.....it's just taken me forever to finally find the answer!!

https://forums.androidcentral.com/g...all-unknown-apps-all-disabled-greyed-out.html

It's all in this link and probably has something to do with one app you have previously given admin rights to which is now blocking everything else.

In my case, it was my work email which has essentially locked down the entire damn phone!!!!

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I found the answer xman!!

It has been answered previously on AndroidCentral.....it's just taken me forever to finally find the answer!!

https://forums.androidcentral.com/g...all-unknown-apps-all-disabled-greyed-out.html

It's all in this link and probably has something to do with one app you have previously given admin rights to which is now blocking everything else.

In my case, it was my work email which has essentially locked down the entire damn phone!!!!

Yes, usually it's a corporate IT policy that does such sinister things. Sometimes you can temporarily disable the restricting corporate app's Device Administrator status, do the necessary, then enable it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TX_Poker