[How-To] Manual Rooting of LS670ZVH/ZVJ (+ links to root ZVD/ZV9)

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH

I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to whether there could eventually be a direct root method for ZVH. Does anyone have any thoughts?
It will depend on generic exploit. This can be anywhere from tomorrow to never. Last time with ZVD it took probably 3-4mo for gingerbreak to come out, though I wouldn't use that as a schedule.

I realize reverting to ZVD and doing this ZVH update isn't all that difficult, but I just don't feel like it if there's a good chance there will be a direct root method in the not-so-distant future :-D.
With the new ZVD update.zip, going to ZVD is the same level of difficulty as using the update.zip to go to ZVH, so if you were willing to do one, it really is not all that much different to do the other.

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site

It will depend on generic exploit. This can be anywhere from tomorrow to never. Last time with ZVD it took probably 3-4mo for gingerbreak to come out, though I wouldn't use that as a schedule.

With the new ZVD update.zip, going to ZVD is the same level of difficulty as using the update.zip to go to ZVH, so if you were willing to do one, it really is not all that much different to do the other.

Yeah, I suppose I should just stop being lazy :p. Thanks for the feedback, and for all the work you've put into this stuff :).

hawks4ever8

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

So how do i get a stock recovery... i think i understand most of what i am doing after i get to zvd but the stock recovery is the only thing stoping me...

Also thanks for all the work you have put into this... it makes the droid os way more awesome

spyderman01

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

I finally have mine working. Whenever it tried to flash the update, it would give me errors then lock up. I had to pull the battery and reboot, then it worked fine. The only problem I have now is that it intermittently tells me that my SD card is safe to remove then it thinks it has been removed, even though it hasn't been nor touched. I may upgrade to the gROM soon just to get rid of all this bloatware and give me some space back on the device!

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site

I finally have mine working. Whenever it tried to flash the update, it would give me errors then lock up. I had to pull the battery and reboot, then it worked fine. The only problem I have now is that it intermittently tells me that my SD card is safe to remove then it thinks it has been removed, even though it hasn't been nor touched. I may upgrade to the gROM soon just to get rid of all this bloatware and give me some space back on the device!

The sd card mounting and unmounting is a fairly common zvh bug, though not everyone has this issue. It may or may not be present in zvh based roms.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

That is an old ZV8/ZV9 bug that came back worse this time in ZVH. In some cases, using a different, possibly faster, SD card makes it go away. The real fix will need to come from LG.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

So how do i get a stock recovery... i think i understand most of what i am doing after i get to zvd but the stock recovery is the only thing stoping me...

Also thanks for all the work you have put into this... it makes the droid os way more awesome
What recovery (xionia, thunder, ...) do you currently have and what rom are you currently running (stock ZVH, stock ZVD, ...)?

Do you plan on ending up with ZVH or with ZVD radio/rom?

Last edited:

hawks4ever8

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
What recovery (xionia, thunder, ...) do you currently have and what rom are you currently running (stock ZVH, stock ZVD, ...)?

Do you plan on ending up with ZVH or with ZVD radio/rom?

I got the phone with zvh and am trying to root it by downgradeing but i do plan on going back to zvh... not sure what recovery i have... i dont know how to check.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I got the phone with zvh and am trying to root it by downgradeing but i do plan on going back to zvh... not sure what recovery i have... i dont know how to check.
If your phone came with ZVH, then you have stock recovery already.

melt1995

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site

Excellent instructions! I went from stock VD to rooted VH - thanks. I am having an issue getting teh xionia recovery to take on teh phone. When I execute the commands in adb shell (as instructed), I get no errors. Yet when I try to boot into recovery, the phone goes directly into Android. I even tried rebooting with the power button, but still get the stock recovery. Any thoughts? The phone is rooted, on VH, but no custom recovery.

Edit: Issue resolved. I had been using Reborn ROM so long I forgot I had to hold the home+vol down+power buttons to launch the custom recovery.

Last edited:

hawks4ever8

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

If your phone came with ZVH, then you have stock recovery already.

but when ever i try to run the update.zip it says E: signature verification failed insallation aborted.

and some one on here told me that was because i dont have stock recovery.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

but when ever i try to run the update.zip it says E: signature verification failed insallation aborted.

and some one on here told me that was because i dont have stock recovery.
Your phone came with ZVH "new" from Sprint or you got it 2nd hand?

Does your recovery look like this?
14857d1316106987-how-rooting-ls670zvh-recovery1.jpg

hawks4ever8

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

ya i got it bran new from sprint with zvh and yes that is how my recovery looks but it still brings up that message every time i try the apply the zvd update...

Jeepjseries

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

Trying to root my Optimus S got to step 6, after I run adb shell and the three things after I get this instead of a successful root. Any ideas???

Here is a pic of what happens
298594_1979017366830_1585047760_31516538_402086298_n.jpg

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

The "exec '/system/bin/sh'" error is because you didn't run update.zip as specified in Step #6

The rest of the errors are because your "su" failed with "permission denied"

Are you following the current instructions? There is no "su" in the current instructions for step 6. It wasn't even in the old instructions.

Did you successfully perform Step #3?
/system/bin/sh install-vh.sh

Perhaps you should take a step back and state where you were at when you started and which steps did you perform without error.

onetimejc

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site

Trying to root my Optimus S got to step 6, after I run adb shell and the three things after I get this instead of a successful root. Any ideas?

I am getting the same response in step 6 minus the exec thing.

I was successful in step 3 to perform:

In step 6, after applying sdcard:update.zip, I get the error for installing update and installation aborted...identical to the picture supplied in the sticky. My next step when starting and adb shell session gets

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Trying to root my Optimus S got to step 6, after I run adb shell and the three things after I get this instead of a successful root. Any ideas?

I am getting the same response in step 6 minus the exec thing.

I was successful in step 3 to perform:

In step 6, after applying sdcard:update.zip, I get the error for installing update and installation aborted...identical to the picture supplied in the sticky. My next step when starting and adb shell session gets
Step 3 was not performed successfully.

onetimejc

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site

You are definitely right. Thank you for recognizing the error.
I thought I did step #3 ok, but kinda skipped the "Install the VH recovery"

So I believe i did everything per the guide until "Install the VH recovery"

At this point, I loaded the update.zip onto the sd card and successfully transferred the files from zvhrec using install.bat.

This is where I get stuck....
C: \zvhrec>adb shell
$ su
su: permission denied

How do i gain permission?

On my phone, I have USB debugging ENABLED and Turn OFF USB storage.

Hope somebody can help. Thanks.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burks