How to reset S Voice on Galaxy S7 running Android 8

Snillor91

Jan 15, 2021
Visit site
Hello, I like to buy as few phones as possible and keep their performance going as long as I can. I don't want the newest thing and I do not want to upgrade the OS as I know the phone will have less battery power on a beefier OS. Sometime ago my S Voice started acting up, I would long press to hold down the home button and the S Voice would come up, but it would immediately time out. Normally the S Voice would wait 5 seconds or more of active listening before going back to passive where you have to press the mic icon to get it to listen again. The thing is, when you press the mic icon, it again goes back to not listening as soon as you press it.

I am trying to find out some way to reinstall, reset, or possibly upgrade only S voice (or whatever the correct name of the Samsung voice assistant is that will allow me to write texts from speech or make phone calls hands free while driving.) running Android 8.0 and Android Experience version 9.0 Many thanks to whoever can help me!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings>Apps, tap Menu>Show System, and see if S Voice is listed there. If so, tap it, then clear its app cache/data.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I think your right , I did hear something about that

"After the support has been dropped, users on devices that still feature S Voice won't be able to use it. Instead of responding to requests and inquiries. After June 1, S Voice will inform users that it can't process requests."

Source
https://www.androidheadlines.com/20...kills-s-voice-assistant-summer-june-2020.html

I would assume the servers and backend required for functionality are offline at this point.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
To the OP

Google Assistant should provide the basic functionality you're looking for. Ok Google worked on the S7 if I remember correctly. You should also still have voice to text without S Voice.

I make no promises but if I remember I'll check my old S7 this weekend.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Forgot my S7 is basically dead, believe the battery finally failed.

Interestingly enough S Voice still functions on my very old Note 3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae