Question How to respond to a text message that I'm unavailable

note10guy

May 23, 2020
Visit site
Galaxy Note10+ SM-N975U

When I'm unable to respond to a text message, I want to give a notification that I'm unavailable. A friend of mine has his phone set up to give a message like "Focus Assist is ON. I'm unable to respond..." I think he is using an iPhone.

Digital Wellbeing and Parental Controls is the only settings I found that might be relevant to Focus Assist.

digital wellbbeing screenshot.jpg

How would I proceed from here?

Thanks,
Note10guy.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I could be wrong, but I don't think there's a way to accomplish this without a third party app. I know Pulse SMS has an automated reply feature. SMS Auto Reply
Autoresponder is another app.
It's been years, but I've used Pulse before and it was a pretty solid app back when I used it. I've not used the other app.

Last edited:
Reactions: B. Diddy

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Have you looking in to Bixby routines? I wonder if Bixby can do this natively?

Have you looked at YouTube? I found this with a quick search...

I also know, because I use it, that Tasker can do this. Tasker is however a big tool and a paid app. It can do so much more than this simple task if you're willing to learn how to program it. Truthfully it is as complex or as simple as you want to make it. I bring up Tasker because there are other automation apps at the Play Store that are free. I don't use any of them so I cannot speak to what they can or cannot do.

My best advise is go on YT and search for a solution that you're willing to do. I have no doubt that there are more than a dozen ways to skin this cat.

Best wishes.

Last edited:

note10guy

May 23, 2020
Visit site
I could be wrong, but I don't think there's a way to accomplish this without a third party app. I know Pulse SMS has an automated reply feature. SMS Auto Reply
Autoresponder is another app.
It's been years, but I've used Pulse before and it was a pretty solid app back when I used it. I've not used the other app.
Thanks for your reply.
I've used Bixby in the past, but stopped because it seemed to get in the way of a lot of other apps. I'm going to try Tasker first. If that doesn't work, Bixby will be my next try.
note10guy (Phil)

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.
I've used Bixby in the past, but stopped because it seemed to get in the way of a lot of other apps. I'm going to try Tasker first. If that doesn't work, Bixby will be my next try.
note10guy (Phil)
We don't use the "B" word anymore, for this exact reason it's just called Routines. But routines should be able to do what you want, is free and is already on your device. It is also a lot easier to use than Tasker.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome the world of Tasker. This is a really powerful tool that can do so many things more advanced than this but this is a good start to get your feet wet. There are profiles that you can download and import directly to Tasker from places like http://tasker.wikidot.com/profile-index and many Android forums have a Tasker threads. If you don't find what you're searching for in the wiki let me know and I'll more than happy to help you create a profile.

Reactions: B. Diddy

note10guy

May 23, 2020
Visit site
We don't use the "B" word anymore, for this exact reason it's just called Routines. But routines should be able to do what you want, is free and is already on your device. It is also a lot easier to use than Tasker.
Thanks for your reply.
I've decided not to try to do this with Bixby, Tasker, or any other app. It happens seldom and can simply make a note to myself to respond to the message later.
note10guy

Naksbabs

Mar 21, 2024
Visit site
You could reply with something like:
"Thanks for letting me know. I'll get back to you as soon as I'm available."
NB: This is if someone informed you of their unavailability. However, to notify someone of your unavailability, you could👇
"I am currently unavailable. I will reach out at my earliest convenience. Thank you."