[How To]Root the LG Revolution: The Windows ADB Way

stetsonaw

May 26, 2011
twitter.com
Remember, I am not at fault if you brick your phone, now, proceed.

Connect your phone in charge only mode to install the LG Bootstrapper and drivers, or grab the LG Universal Drivers here or here.

Change your USB Mode to Internet Connection
Go into Settings/Applications/Development and ensure USB Debugging is turned on
If all goes according to plan, you should see the ADB Ladybug icon in your notification bar

I updated the Rootzwiki page with the same info found below.

Busybox actually comes installed by LG on the Revo, how awesome is that??

Download the rageagainstthecage binary
Download the SU binary
Move these files to the same directory your adb.exe is in.

Code:
The > and # characters below illustrate the prompt 
you should have, if you have the $ when you go into adb shell, 
exit out and type 'adb usb' then go back into adb shell and 
you should see the #

Open Command prompt (either use the Windows Key+R and type cmd or start/run, then type cmd)
32-bit users: >cd c:\program files\android\android-sdk\platform-tools
64-bit users: >cd c:\program files (x86)\android\android-sdk\platform-tools
Or >cd (whatever directory adb is in)

>adb devices (verifies you are connected)
>adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/temp/rage
(if the above command fails due to read-only, type 'adb usb' then 'adb root' to validate root status, then 'adb devices' again to verify connection)
>adb push su /data/local/temp/su
>adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/temp/rage
>adb shell ./data/local/temp/rage
>adb shell (If this gives you a $ prompt instead of a # prompt, type 'su', if that fails, 'exit', 'adb usb' like above.)
#mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/mmcblk0p12 /system
#busybox cp /data/local/temp/su /system/bin/su
#chmod 6755 /system/bin/su

Verify the file is in place w/correct permissions

#cd /system/bin
#ls -l *su
-rwsr-sr-x root root 26248 2011-05-29 01:09 su
(permissions name access filesize date time filename)

At this point, you may way to remove the files you put in /data/local/temp (optional):
#rm /data/local/temp/su
#rm /data/local/temp/rage

continue with commands
#reboot

Download and install SuperUser from the Market

Thanks Zennmaster, _mrbirdman_ for finding the linux routes and birdman for helping me out, and droidx8971 for helping me find all the information possible!

Now go bug XDA to create a Revo forum!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex126

stetsonaw

May 26, 2011
twitter.com
#mount[space]-o[space]remount,rw[space]-t[space]ext3[space]/dev/mmcblk0p12[space]/system
here is where the spaces are (obv don't type [space], just make a space.

lazarus2297

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
ok so i got my revo today and i have tried and tried to get this thing rooted via super one click and the windows adb way... when trying to root this way via adb... after i enter adb shell ./data/local/temp/rage and adb restarts my phone will always show device offline and no matter what i do (other than restart the phone which restarts the process) the phone will not show online.. and when i did the adb usb command to start with it never finds the phone and i have to restart the phone again.. someone please tell me i am missing something easy... i have used adb before in rooting my motorola phones so I am not totally new to this...

when i try and use S1C with either exploit (psneuter, gingerbreak) the program gets to running psnueter, gingerbreak and completely freezes

I am about to pull what hair i have left out... :)

stetsonaw

May 26, 2011
twitter.com
when it doesn't see your phone anymore, try 'adb kill-server' then 'adb start-server' or something like that... look for it in the '?' menu.

stetsonaw

May 26, 2011
twitter.com
Rooting just gives you access to the system directories, etc. Custom roms and such help you to speed up the phone.

Sent from 1885

free_spoons

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
So I'm getting a weird error, and I can't figure out what I'm going wrong. I've got my abd, rageagainstthecage and su files all together and command prompt pushes rage without a problem. However, when I type "adb push su /data/local/temp/su" I get an error saying "cannot stat 'su' No such file or directory"

Any ideas?

figured it out. for some reason my computer didn't like the su file you had for download, but it did fine with the su.zip file from the pinned rooting thread.

Last edited:

Red Five

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Long time lurker first time poster.

So I ran through this process, and I think it worked. Thanks for all your hard work.

But I think I was having some troubles with the SU folder during the root process.

However I seem to have successfully downloaded superuser.

So superuser tried to update and gave me the following error message:

An error occurred and su was not update. A zip file (su-2.3.1-bin-signed.zip) has been placed on your sdcard , please reboot into recovery mode and flash to update your su binary.

If launch recovery mode it says it will delete all user settings etc. Is there another way to flash the update without deleting all my settings?

stetsonaw

May 26, 2011
twitter.com
Open the zip, pull the 'su' file out of the /system/bin folder, and push it just like you did with the original in the steps from the OP. Make sure you also set the permissions on it. the zip here as well so that i can update the OP with it.

speedtrap63

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Having an issue that I can't get around. Your procedure goes fine until I type "adb shell" and get the $. I typed "su" and got "permission denied" then exited out and typed "adb usb" which was fine, then "adb root" and got an error "adbd cannot run as root in production builds".

I am at a loss as to how to proceed. I've tried reinstalling LG drivers, killing and restarting the ADB server, and restarting the Rev.

stetsonaw

May 26, 2011
twitter.com
When it says adb cannot run as root in production builds, type su, and you should be good. if that doesn't work, reboot both your phone and computer.

speedtrap63

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Tried rebooting phone and computer, no good. It gives me the adbd error at the command prompt, not in the adb shell. Trying to run 'su' within the shell it says permission denied.

Gotta throw in the towel for tonight and get some sleep, long day. If there are any other suggestions of things to try, I'll get on it tomorrow. Thanks in advance!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy