Last edited:

S.Meezy

May 18, 2010
Visit site
tried to move it, still same error
rebooted phone and computer, redownloaded everything ... still same error :(

it pushes the file fine when sending it to /data/local/temp
but will not create the rage folder

I don't think you're creating a folder, just renaming it, for whatever reason. because if you notice the su line, in finder/explorer/whatever mac calls it these days, the file is just "su". the ./data/local/temp/rage just tells the system to run the file rage inside the folder /data/local/temp.
After you reboot your phone, I think the files are gone... so you would have to redo it. could be mistaken tho. also, not sure if you redid everything, kinda seems like u did.

2 thoughts:

adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/temp/
adb shell
./data/local/temp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
exit
adb push su /system/bin
adb shell
chmod 755 /system/bin/su

rename rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin on your computer (make a duplicate and rename that) to just rage
then
adb push rage /data/local/temp/
adb shell
./data/local/temp/rage
exit
adb push su /system/bin
adb shell
chmod 755 /system/bin/su

S.Meezy

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you're creating a folder, just renaming it, for whatever reason. because if you notice the su line, in finder/explorer/whatever mac calls it these days, the file is just "su". the ./data/local/temp/rage just tells the system to run the file rage inside the folder /data/local/temp.
After you reboot your phone, I think the files are gone... so you would have to redo it. could be mistaken tho. also, not sure if you redid everything, kinda seems like u did.

2 thoughts:

adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/temp/
adb shell
./data/local/temp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
exit
adb push su /system/bin
adb shell
chmod 755 /system/bin/su

rename rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin on your computer (make a duplicate and rename that) to just rage
then
adb push rage /data/local/temp/
adb shell
./data/local/temp/rage
exit
adb push su /system/bin
adb shell
chmod 755 /system/bin/su
also, are you using the revised/better procedure found here

Reactions: KaneOfMars

KaneOfMars

May 9, 2011
Visit site
yep, I'm using the revised procedure

pushed the rage file to /data/local/temp
ran adb shell
when I typed ./data/local/temp/rage ... comes back with an error: not found

tried renaming the file and I still get the same error

may just have to find a friend with a windows machine :p

orbashn

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I cant get the $ to change to a # by typing su, and when I type the last line of your instructions it says File Not Found, PLEASE HELP ME!

orbashn

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Alternate rooting method that worked for me!

Following the method in the OP achieved root for me, but would not persist through a reboot. Here is a revised procedure that seems to be working great!

Just like the original method, get ADB working (I'm using Linux, BTW, so I can't really help with Windows issues).

Make sure you have "Internet Connection" selected as your USB connection mode, and USB Debugging selected in Menu -> Applications -> Development (as previously discussed, USB debugging will remain greyed out until Internet Connection is selected).

Grab SU and Rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin, linked in the OP, and busybox, which I have attached below.

Place all three files in a convenient location for pushing with adb (your /[Path-To-SDK]/platform-tools directory would be a great idea)

From your terminal, type:

adb push su /data/local/temp
adb push rageagainsthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/temp/rage
adb push busybox /data/local/temp

Now enter adb shell:

adb shell

You will now see a "$" prompt.

Type:

./data/local/temp/rage

Now wait until you get kicked all the way back to your terminal prompt. If you see the "$", don't do anything, just keep waiting! When it's done you'll be all the way out of ADB, which you will now need to restart.

Get back to the adb shell:

adb shell

Now you need to remount your /system directory as read/write, so type:

mount -o remount,rw -t ext3 /dev/mmcblk0p12 /system
cd /system/bin
cat /data/local/temp/su > su
cat /data/local/temp/busybox > busybox
chmod 4755 su
chmod 4755 busybox

At this point, you may way to remove the files you put in /data/local/temp:

(optional)
rm /data/local/temp/su
rm /data/local/temp/busybox
rm /data/local/temp/rage

Then reboot:

reboot

When your phone reboots, go to the market and download Superuser.

This worked for me, hopefully it will work for you!
I did this and the part where you said it should kick me all the way back, it said permission denied. Does that mean my phone is not rootable????

orbashn

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
READ THIS POST, THEN >>CLICK HERE<<

Zennmaster has refined this since it was written. Be sure to thank him.

***********************************************************************************************************************
Courtesy Rootzwiki

You're going to need to use adb. Don't fret, it's easy and it's always good to learn :)

Set up the Android SDK.

Turn on USB debugging on your phone.

Download the attached files, and extract them out of their zips. Place them in your SDK/platform-tools folder.

Open your command line utility (this works on Windows, Linux or Mac) and navigate to the SDK/Platform-tools folder.

Enter the following, one line at a time:
Code:
adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/temp/rage
adb shell 
./data/local/temp/rage
exit 
adb push su /system/bin 
adb shell 
chmod 755 /system/bin/su

You're rooted. Hit the market and install superuser, and busybox
Superuser
Busybox
Everytime somewhere I get permission denied, any help?

speedtrap63

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
You probably have the recent software update applied. To verify, check under About Phone in the settings menu. Look for SW Version, if it says VS910ZV6, then you have the update and rooting won't work with S1C or ADB at this time.

The guys over at xda are working on it but to my knowledge there is no root with the update yet. However, there is a downgrade procedure to get you to the ZV4 software. If you're brave, you can try this: [FIX] Updated by accident? Lost your Root? Downgrading Instructions - xda-developers

Me? I'm waiting on a seemingly mythical 2.3 update. ;)

drevilmike77

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Is there a step by step instruction for rooting your revolution. I have never done it and when I plug in my phone to my computer it gives me usb device not recognized. I need rooting for dummy's. Im sorry if I seem stupid, I just want to learn.

dj blue31

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
so ive tried many different methods.. none have worked. ive had different outcomes to each..
but it has all resulted in an unrooted LG Revolution the device will remain "offline"
ive installed all the drivers. and nothing seems to work, and now im just stuck.:(

chrishhh

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
^^ No one has rooted the LG Revolution with the 2.2.2 updates installed. The ADB and SuperOneClick methods do not work. The ADB method cannot get the shell to display a # sign --

Don't waste your time trying to get these to work -- they don't. Just wait until someone comes up with a 2.2.2 root solution.

Reactions: dj blue31

dj blue31

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
^^ No one has rooted the LG Revolution with the 2.2.2 updates installed. The ADB and SuperOneClick methods do not work. The ADB method cannot get the shell to display a # sign --

Don't waste your time trying to get these to work -- they don't. Just wait until someone comes up with a 2.2.2 root solution.

that helps quite a bit.. thanks^^
but is there any way to downgrade the software? i did a factory reset and that just reinstalled the update as soon as it booted..

dj blue31

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
You probably have the recent software update applied. To verify, check under About Phone in the settings menu. Look for SW Version, if it says VS910ZV6, then you have the update and rooting won't work with S1C or ADB at this time.

The guys over at xda are working on it but to my knowledge there is no root with the update yet. However, there is a downgrade procedure to get you to the ZV4 software. If you're brave, you can try this: [FIX] Updated by accident? Lost your Root? Downgrading Instructions - xda-developers

Me? I'm waiting on a seemingly mythical 2.3 update. ;)

i tried this.. got me no where.. =/

I did try toggling the Debug mode. that seemed to have gotten me to another step.
it says its shell rooted. but when i go to full root, it gives me a "string" error.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad