How to stop app from auto updating even with auto update turned off?

Eazy123

Jun 14, 2010
www.grafxone.com
Recently, the GoPro app killed off a load of functionality, so I uninstalled and installed an APK of a previous working version. Everything worked great, and I made sure to have "auto updates" turned off for the app.

Woke up this morning and the app updated itself! So I uninstalled and installed the old APK again. Checked my apps in the play store and it had GoPro in the manual update section with another app I have set to update manually only. Sure enough, 3 hours later it updated itself yet again. The other app didn't auto update, just GoPro.

This is seriously fishy and I'm getting frustrated. Now I'm trying having ALL auto updates turned off but I shouldn't have to do that, as I do want most apps to auto update. Is there something else I can try?

Thomas_George

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
Go to Settings - Security & privacy,
1. Disable the option 'Download apps from unknown source'.
2. In the 'Install unknown apps' window, select GoPro, disable the option 'Allow app installs'.
I will post here some screenshots for you about these settings later.

Eazy123

Jun 14, 2010
www.grafxone.com
My apologies - was so frustrated I forgot to add my model. It's a Pixel 4, and I got the older apk of the app from softpedia.

When I go under "Install unknown apps", the GoPro app isn't in there.

On a side note, turning off all auto updates seems to have worked so far, although I would like some apps to auto update.

Eazy123

Jun 14, 2010
www.grafxone.com
Thank you Thomas, but on my phone it's under apps & notifications, and there is no GoPro app listed when I choose "install unknown apps".

There's also no "install unknown apps".

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thank you Thomas, but on my phone it's under apps & notifications, and there is no GoPro app listed when I choose "install unknown apps".

There's also no "install unknown apps".
The 'install unknown apps' list doesn't include the app that you installed but the app that you used to download and/or install it. This could be your browser, file manager or any other one that you used when installing the apk.

Eazy123

Jun 14, 2010
www.grafxone.com
Ok so Chrome would be the app I have to disable, but is it downloading the update through that? I'm just asking because I'm wondering why I would have to turn that off?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Ok so Chrome would be the app I have to disable, but is it downloading the update through that? I'm just asking because I'm wondering why I would have to turn that off?
It's strange that the apk is auto updating on its own, but you can try turning that permission off for Chrome and see what happens.

Also, make sure that's the app used to install unknown sources. For example, I download apks from Brave, Telegram or Discord and then I use the file explorer (Solid in my case) to install it. If that's your case turn that permission off for any possible app listed there.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
I frequently notice system apps (for example) being updated on their own, even with all possible auto updates settings turned off.

Download Manager also is uncontrollable in my opinion. I frequently open my phone from after being idle for a bit and see a notification for it downloading/updating.

Eazy123

Jun 14, 2010
www.grafxone.com
Thanks, all. I turned off "install unknown apps" in everything that allowed it. Will turn auto update back on and make sure GoPro is still unchecked and see how that works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37