How To stop Software Notification On Samsung Galaxy

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I finally figured out how to stop getting software notification from appearing time to time from predatory Samsung. I have a Galaxy A8. I have the android 8 and don't like the android 9 after watching YouTube clips.
First thing to do is back up everything to smart switch. Power down the phone and do a wipe cache partition. Then do a factory reset.
The most important thing not to do when restoring your back up or if you are not using back up is to do a system software update. I REPEAT AND REPEAT, DO NOT CHECK FOR ANY SYSTEM UPDATE IN THE SETTINGS.
Why?? When you check for software update, the first thing it does is register's your device before performing any software update checks. After I reset before I restored my pre-reset setting, I decided to put it to the test. When I checked for software update, while it was doing a check, the first thing that popped up was registering device, device registered and then checking for software updates. After that, the notification popped up about android 9.
So again I powered the phone down, wipe cache partition and did a full reset. I DID NOT PERFORM ANY SYSTEM SOFTWARE UPDATE CHECK. The only update check I did was my playstore apps,

3 days so far, no notifications for software update appearing.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It probably will, eventually. the only way to make sure it doesn't is to root the phone. Updates refuse to install on rooted phones. (And you can freeze the OTA app, so you don't even get notifications.)

Of course, by not updating, you miss all the security updates.

(And you get so used to 9 that you can't remember how to do things in 8.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Just because a phone manufacturer pushes out a system update doesn't make it "predatory." Companies that are lax in updating their devices are often criticized and ridiculed for this shortcoming. The problem is when updates are buggy, which is more of a QC issue. And if you're referring to UI or feature changes, this is certainly not limited to Samsung -- that's pretty much Apple in a nutshell.

Alex B6

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Just because a phone manufacturer pushes out a system update doesn't make it "predatory." Companies that are lax in updating their devices are often criticized and ridiculed for this shortcoming. The problem is when updates are buggy, which is more of a QC issue. And if you're referring to UI or feature changes, this is certainly not limited to Samsung -- that's pretty much Apple in a nutshell.

I can strongly understand security updates but I don't need a new UI. Samsung could have offered a security update only. From past experiences with many brands of smart phones, I believe that if you want that new UI, get the new phone. My A8 had Android 7 which was perfect and I did update to 8 only after 6 months from release date to make sure the bugs are sorted out. When I had galaxy S5, I had Android 4 and 5 on it but updating to 6 destroyed my battery life and made the phone very hot. Even after wiping the cache partition and doing a full reset, it did not help until rolling back to Android 5. A phone that is 1 yr old or more will always have bugs after a new UI update and Samsung from my experience is notoriously slow to respond. If I want Android 9,i will simply buy a new phone with the software already factory installed.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I understand where you're coming from, but also bear in mind that for every person who thinks the way that you do, there are probably 10 people who are in an uproar if/when their phone doesn't get the latest upgrades. For a phone that a company is still actively supporting, it's not ideal to allow some users to stay on the old OS version while others have the latest -- that goes back to the tired old criticism that Android is too fragmented.

If you want more control over your UI, then try a 3rd party launcher like Nova.

Alex B6

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
I understand where you're coming from, but also bear in mind that for every person who thinks the way that you do, there are probably 10 people who are in an uproar if/when their phone doesn't get the latest upgrades. For a phone that a company is still actively supporting, it's not ideal to allow some users to stay on the old OS version while others have the latest -- that goes back to the tired old criticism that Android is too fragmented.

If you want more control over your UI, then try a 3rd party launcher like Nova.

As for the notifications, why I call it predatory, I dismiss it and it comes back later more and more, 3 times a day minimum after 2 weeks is considered stalking and predatory. Windows don't do that. The 10 you talk about are the millennial that want the latest version of everything in life whether they can afford it or not. It is this image of having the latest of everything that gives them a reason to wake up to every morning in life to brag about but are in debt till eternity and cannot live without work

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
As for the notifications, why I call it predatory, I dismiss it and it comes back later more and more, 3 times a day minimum after 2 weeks is considered stalking and predatory. Windows don't do that. The 10 you talk about are the millennial that want the latest version of everything in life whether they can afford it or not. It is this image of having the latest of everything that gives them a reason to wake up to every morning in life to brag about but are in debt till eternity and cannot live without work
Download Samsung Good Lock from Galaxy store this will change how you interact with your phone and also a launcher and Samsung theme store which can change icon and UI.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I disagree with your assessment on which demographic wants the latest update -- I think it's much broader than the millennials. And it could be worse -- there have been phones that, after allowing the user to defer a system update for a while, would force the update (i.e., not allow the user to operate the device without accepting the update). In any case, as Rukbat mentioned above, the best way to completely get rid of system update notifications would be to root the phone and disable the system updater.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52