How to transfer all data from old phone to new phone without losing any data?

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I am a bit paranoid transferring from old android phone (samsung galaxy S4) to new android phone (samsung note 8) that I will lose data/history/messages after I have removed the sim card from the old phone and put it into the new phone.

I want everything in my old phone to appear in my new phone. I am a noob, the last time I did a transfer process was 5 years ago (samsung galaxy S4).

Is there anything I should be aware of? (I do not want any data to accidentally disappear/deleted.)

What are the stuff that once you login in the new phone, the old messages/history will automatically appear?

I think contact list will automatically appear once I login to google account. I think I would need to backup sms messages, whatsapp messages and restore them in the new phone.

If you have any bad experiences, data loss, while transferring from old phone to a new phone, do share your experience.

Thanks.

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
I use Smart Switch for thishttps://www.samsung.com/uk/getting-started/smart-switch/?CID=afl-ecomm-cjn-cha-092118-52057&cjevent=eec6b0d5be7711e980cf04700a180512

I also use Helium to back-up restore app data not baked up by Smart Switch

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
What apps/stuff is attached to the sim card (can only work when the sim card is in the phone)? In the old phone what items will stop working (or disappear) after I take out the sim card from the old phone?

Here are some of the apps that I have
SMS messages
Whatsapp
Chrome browser, Samsung default browser
Keep notes
Telegram
Google map
Google drive

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
Generally nothing is on the sim card, if anything, some contacts may be on there but these are usually saved to Google. If you have any contacts on the sim card you can import them:-

1.Press Contacts.
2.Press the Menu key.
3.Press Import/Export.
4.Select one of the following options: Copy contacts from your SIM to your mobile phone, go to 2a. Copy contacts from your mobile phone to your SIM, go to 2b.
5.Press Import from SIM card.
6.Press Phone.
7.Press Select all.
8.Press Import

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You can also read Backing up an Android Device. (But usually, setting up the new phone will ask you if you want to copy apps and data from the old one. If you say yes, the phones will use peer-to-peer (or direct-connect) WiFi to transfer things in the background while you finish setting it up, then using it. Eventually, everything will be transferred. Smart Switch is a Secondary means, and only available for Samsung devices. The apps in the linked article are for any Android devices (even things like Android TV boxes and Android emulators on PCs).