How to transfer files from PC to phone?

NIKITA 1

Aug 9, 2022
Visit site
Hi. Got a new Samsung Galaxy A 13. Most expensive phone I ever owned, but I can't transfer files! Not to mention it does not come with a charger. Nor does it use USB! lol What?

I have been to literally hundreds of sites that say "plug in your USB and proceed to transfer files". Yeah, no kidding? I clearly tried that.

Well, after searching endless sites, I finally found on Samsung's official, that you can only transfer 100 files at a time, no larger than 500mb. I have files that are several gb in size, and looking to transfer at least 200,000-300,000 files. Doing that in increments of 100 is nutters.

So what can I do? I hate asking online. I looked and looked. Last time I had this issue I was a Linux user. Since going to Windows 11, this is my first problem. No problem with my ASUS phone. My Cherry. Or any other. Only Samsung. Thank you!

Yes. obviously you put it on file sharing. This is insulting. Who does not know this? I can't reply to the one who answered the question. No reply button at all.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you saying that you were able to transfer files, just not all at the same time? Or are you still unable to transfer any file?

When you connect the phone to a PC via USB, swipe down the notification panel and look for a USB notification. Tap that and look for an option for "File Transfer" or "MTP" (or something similar). Make sure it's not set to "Charge Only." Once you've done that, open Windows File Explorer and look for the phone in the device list. You should be able to drag and drop files now.

It's always a good idea to transfer data over USB in smaller batches rather than giant ones, because of the risk for data transfer error. I wasn't aware of any actual file transfer limit, but it would make sense to me. Where did you find that information? Can you share the link?

Finally, what kinds of files are you trying to transfer to the phone? Remember that it's never a good idea to keep important data only on the phone, without syncing or backing it up elsewhere, since bad things can potentially happen to a phone, which can mean unexpected data loss. Are these photos? Music files? Can you take advantage of cloud storage instead?

NIKITA 1

Aug 9, 2022
Visit site
Finally! I F5ed this page 20 times and there was no option to reply.

Asking if I put my phone on file transfer is like asking me if I plugged my non-working TV into the the power outlet. Pretty insulting really.

It would take forever to transfer in batches of 100. Impossible. Not sure if I can post links.

"You can drag and drop up to 100 files at a time, of any type. However, moving entire folders is not supported, and no single file can be larger than 512MB. The size of content will be adjusted to 1MB if "metered data" is used. For text files, the size will be limited to 128KB or less, and images will be resized to 1MB or less."

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...er-files-with-windows-10-pc%2F&token=tHlEmyqC

I don't synch. Nor do I use cloud. All sorts of files. Does that matter?

Thanks for the reply. Apart from the MTP thing.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't trying to insult you -- remember that there are members with many different levels of experience on this forum (believe me, I know, after more than 10 years on this forum and over 150,000 posts). I can't assume that everyone has the same level of experience that you do, so I always need to make sure the basics are covered. I also don't think those steps are as basic as you make them out to be -- not everyone would know to look for the USB notification.

That's an interesting support page -- I've always thought that transferring huge amounts of data at one time over USB was somewhat risky, and that official page kind of confirms it.

If you don't sync or use the cloud, then you might be stuck with this limitation. Maybe you could try using a portable hard drive as an intermediate step (i.e., copying all the files to the drive, then connecting the drive to the phone using an OTG cable). I have no idea if that 100 file limit is only when connecting to Windows, or if it also applies to portable drives.

Good luck.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
If you copy to a portable drive and then Copy the files form the PC to it and then use a USB a to c adapter and connect it to your phone those limitations will be removed. I use this method to copy backups.of my phone. Make sure the drive is formated in fat32

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Your title says how to transfer files from PC to phone implying you don't know how to do it. But it seems you can already do that since you are saying you can only transfer 100 files at a time. Is your problem that you can't transfer more files at once or is your problem that you can't transfer anything?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante