How to turn off Google search bar feed

Tritonemusic

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
When I click on the Google search bar at the bottom of my home page, I see all sorts of news articles/suggestions. How can I turn this off completely? I think I've been through this before, but this seems to be back since the December update. Thanks.

Screenshot_20221208-113112.jpg

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I went through all of that before posting. Everything is off/deactivated but this extremely annoying problem remains.

Does it happen anywhere there's a Google search bar, or only in certain search bars?

Tritonemusic

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Does it happen anywhere there's a Google search bar, or only in certain search bars?

Now that you mention it, I see this also happens if I use the Google search bar in the app drawer (unless I disable internet search for that in preferences).

The screenshot below is from the search bar on my home screen. If I click in the center (yellow arrow), I get the feed. If I click on the "G" (blue arrow) it opens another search window without a feed.
Hope that makes sense.

P.S. I guess I can get used to clicking the "G" from now on, but I just don't like the idea of that feed always lingering behind the scenes on my phone.

search bar.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly, I notice that even though I have that Autocomplete with Trending Searches turned on, I don't see ANY of those trending search suggestions. Not sure what I'm missing ...

Try turning that toggle off, then go to Settings>Apps and select Google, and clear the app cache/data there, and Force Stop it. Now see if the trending searches keep showing up.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue and everything is turned off. I force stopped the app and cleared the cache with no change.

Tritonemusic

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Interestingly, I notice that even though I have that Autocomplete with Trending Searches turned on, I don't see ANY of those trending search suggestions. Not sure what I'm missing ...

Try turning that toggle off, then go to Settings>Apps and select Google, and clear the app cache/data there, and Force Stop it. Now see if the trending searches keep showing up.

No luck, but thanks for the suggestion.
Looks like the time for a factory install has come. I've been avoiding it for too long, anyway.

It is strange that you can't see Trending Searches, even though you have it on.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If it annoys that much then like i mentioned earlier 3rd party launcher like Nova and customize that to your liking

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
I don't remember how I did it, but I don't have the google search bar on any of my Android devices. Turned it off of them always from the start. Didn't have to use a special 3rd party launcher.

Edit: Oops. Just noticed this is a Pixel thread. Mine have all been Samsungs. Maybe easier.

Last edited:

Tritonemusic

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
If it annoys that much then like i mentioned earlier 3rd party launcher like Nova and customize that to your liking

Thanks, again, for your suggestion.

I've had the pro (Prime?) version of Nova for years, but haven't used it in at least two years. I like using Pixel Launcher. Using Nova would just cover the symptoms. I'd rather solve the issue, if possible. In addition, I'm not particularly interested in using Nova since its acquisition.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, again, for your suggestion.

I've had the pro (Prime?) version of Nova for years, but haven't used it in at least two years. I like using Pixel Launcher. Using Nova would just cover the symptoms. I'd rather solve the issue, if possible. In addition, I'm not particularly interested in using Nova since its acquisition.
Your welcome

I dont think its a band aid its just the pixel launcher not as customizable like you cant even put the Google search bar where u want it or delete it and thats where Nova or any 3rd party launcher comes in. I know with the changes to Nova thats happened but still think at this point the best launcher to date .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non