How to update unlocked galaxy tap E from at&t

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Carrier-specific devices need to be on that carrier's network in order to get the proper system update. Also, carrier-specific tablets sometimes don't get the same updates that carrier-agnostic tablets do. So there may not be an official Nougat update for your device.

kd4gij

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
The tablet is a galaxy tab E 8.0 SM-T377A. on the at&t website it shows the latest up date is 7.0

It hasn't been connect to an AT&T account in 2 years. And has been unlocked.

The other thing I need help with is when I open the phone dialer it wants to log into an AT&T account and I cant get past that. I would like to use it on Team Moble.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In order to update it officially (if there is an official update available), you may want to consider getting a prepaid AT&T plan for a month, just to get on their network and get the system update. My understanding is that you can't manually install an update on AT&T devices using Smart Switch or Odin, but I could be wrong.

Tablets don't have telephony in the US, even the carrier-branded ones with LTE capability. The LTE is for data, not for calls. Which phone dialer app are you opening? If the tablet insists on having you use AT&T, then it's not really carrier-unlocked.

kd4gij

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
This tablet has the same phone icon as my Samsung phone has. when I open it a popup opens over top of it with a login screen.

kd4gij

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Ok it is running an app called AT&T number sync. when I disable that the dialer opens and closes right away.

If I get an AT&T pre payed sims card will it then be able to download the latest updates AT&T has?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ah, that explains it. Number Sync allows tablets to make phone calls.

I'm pretty sure an AT&T SIM for that device will allow it to install any available system updates, but you may want to ask an AT&T rep first.

kd4gij

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Just to update, I got an AT&T prepay sims card for 5.62 at Walmart and a 25 dollar prepay service. It took about 2 weeks then I was able to download all of the updates for the tablet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lather7753