How to use a US carrier 3XL in Italy

mrpackerguy

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
US Cellular 3XL. Going to Italy in October for 11 days. What's the best way to make calls back to the US if needed? I have a Google voice telephone number as a back up to my US Cell number. When I use the Google voice number to place a call I notice it says it's using wifi calling. Will that work in Italy if I have a wifi connection? I know there will be per minute charges if that calling method works. I also believe US Cellular can swap my SIM to an international SIM that will work in Italy paying US Cellular per minute charges. Google voice international calls are likely cheaper. Finally there's Duo or Facebook messenger but again wifi required.

What has worked for you?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Viber is another free alternative but whomever you are calling has to have it installed as well.

I'm on Google Fi which uses T-Mobile and US Cellular towers in the US and has partnered with local cell companies abroad. Calls to US numbers are like local calls. Calls to the Italian sitting next to you will be considered long distance but the rates are fairly reasonable. Data costs the same as it does at home. Perhaps you would want to think abut getting Google Fi first?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon