How will "Stock Android" on the Nexus 6 make the experience more than "Lollipop on a bigger screen"?

IrishFXDB

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
One thing I hope is that they make better use of the screen you do have. Using Chrome on my wife's S5 and my Note 4 I went to the same pages and lined them up to the top at the same spot, and they both showed exactly the same content. The Note 4 was slightly bigger and slightly easier to read, but I don't have 70 year old eyes and don't need larger text, I want more on the screen so I don't have to scroll as much. Just blowing everything up to be bigger is a waste and should be an option, not the default.

For comparison, I checked an iPhone 6 Plus when I returned my Note 4 just a little while ago and despite the smaller screen, it showed a full extra paragraph of text compared to the Note 4 when looking at the same page, lined up the same way.

This wasn't just in the browser, either. I installed Twitter (Plume, actually), Facebook, etc on my wife's S5 and hooked in my accounts temporarily and it was the same. Both the S5 and Note 4 showed the same number of tweets, same number of Facebook posts, etc. Everything on the Note 4 was just blown up more.

Before asked, yes, I check all accessibility settings and nothing was set for larger text, zooming, etc. Chrome was set to 100% text size on both Samsung phones as well. On the store model 6 Plus everything was set to stock zoom and text sizes.

Posted via the Android Central App

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: How will "Stock Android" on the Nexus 6 make the experience more than "Lollipop on a bigger scre

I go with larger screened devices to show more content (videos, etc) and not necessarily to do note like 2 apps on one screen, because even a 6" screen feels cramped for that. That is what I have a tablet for. I'm not sure google has really incorporated anything groundbreaking to take advantage of the screen, but doing day to day things, will be much more enjoyable on the large and high resolution screen.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Re: How will "Stock Android" on the Nexus 6 make the experience more than "Lollipop on a bigger scre

I haven't been able to find any solid information about Lollipop or the Nexus 6 that points to software or features that are designed to take advantage of the extra screen real estate. About a year ago there were a couple of reports about a very half baked multi-window or split screen reference in "Nexus Android"...but nothing other than that.

The point of this post was to find out if there was any knowledge about whether these types of features existed or not. The debate over whether they should or not is great...but peripheral at best. The bottom line is that, of all the people who would not purchase the Nexus 6 because of it's size, very few of them would likely change their mind because of a "Feature".

As for me...I'm all in on the Nexus 6. It checks every box for every feature in every category on my list of wants and needs. The only "negative" I have been able to come up with is the size, which I think will end up being a positive in the near future. My 2012 Nexus 7 won't last forever and with a 6" phone I could certainly see the 7" tablet getting very little use.

I'm exactly in the same boat. The Nexus 6 has all the things I want in a phone, aside from size. I have 2013 Nexus 7 which I plan on selling since the Nexus 6 will essentially replace it.

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site

The day you can quit the youtube app and the sound from the video still plays is true innovation
Install Viral Popup, that'll play YouTube videos in a pop-up window over your current app or in the background if you want.

Posted via Android Central App

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site

If the Nexus 6 is nothing more than "Lollipop on a big screen"...the 32GB Moto X 2014 is 87% of the Nexus 6 screen size at 85% of the price.
I'd like to point out that the 2014 Moto X is in fact only 76% of the Nexus 6 screen size. (5.2^2)/(5.96^2)=0.761

The Moto X also has a lower resolution screen with a lower PPI, not that I would expect the difference in PPI to be noticeable in day to day usage.

Posted via Android Central App

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Multi-window is coming to Android.

An Exclusive Look At Google's Early Multi-Window Explorations For Android

It won't be in L but we can hope that it comes out before M. I'm not fully convinced it's needed for all apps though. Some apps like MX Video player already allow a windowed mode. Something like this can easily be done in a Google Launcher update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissa Oliver