HTC One (M8) or Nexus 5?

M8 or N5

• Total voters

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I seriously don't know where this is all coming from....

All you need is Xposed and Franco to make N5 a perfect phone. Speaker is great and loud, battery life is amazing (5 hours of screen time and crazy standby time), customizable screen colors to make it 100% perfect to your eyes, almost unlimited amount of customization with Franco and xposed .

I also have Moto X which is great, but as far as speaker and battery I just don't see much difference between the two. Yes, moto is better but not by much.

I don't root/flash my phones. I shouldn't have to. Don't care about Franco and Xposed or any of that.

I didn't find the speaker on the N5 to be great (certainly not when compared to the HTC One). It was soft, sounded tinny and pretty poor quality. As far as battery, I was getting poor 3.5-4 hour screen time when I had the N5. The battery, speaker and camera were the reasons why I got rid of my N5.

I think the N5 is a good phone, just not a great one. For the price it's excellent, but when I compare it to other flagships, I felt it fell short.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't root/flash my phones. I shouldn't have to. Don't care about Franco and Xposed or any of that.

I didn't find the speaker on the N5 to be great (certainly not when compared to the HTC One). It was soft, sounded tinny and pretty poor quality. As far as battery, I was getting poor 3.5-4 hour screen time when I had the N5. The battery, speaker and camera were the reasons why I got rid of my N5.

I think the N5 is a good phone, just not a great one. For the price it's excellent, but when I compare it to other flagships, I felt it fell short.

I root all my phones same day I buy them. I just don't see the point missing out on great features root can offer. I have no doubt that HTC One speakers are better, obviously.....but compared to MX (which has one of the better speakers and battery life), N5 is just fine....I REALLY have hard time draining my battery in a full day.

At 30% now with 4:20 of screen time and rebooted my phone bunch of times due to installations etc...usually can do even better.

Yoink676

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
What do you need? The only thing this doesn't have is a finger print scanner...

A camera which could give better day light performance(m8 doesn't) and at least average lowlight performance (N5 doesn't)
Few more things....

IMO Z2 looks like the device I would go for ,still waiting for some head to head comparisons of m8 Z2 and S5.

Also finger print scanner is least of my concerns :D

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
A camera which could give better day light performance(m8 doesn't) and at least average lowlight performance (N5 doesn't)
Few more things....

IMO Z2 looks like the device I would go for ,still waiting for some head to head comparisons of m8 Z2 and S5.

Also finger print scanner is least of my concerns :D

oh, I agree. I'm afraid it won't come to the states, at least not for another few months. The z1 just barely came to T-Mobile. You in the states?

anon(829886)

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I used an M8 today and then went and purchased a Nexus 5 online.

Speakers and SD slot aside, I prefer the N5 in every way. Battery life might be better on the M8 but I'm confident the N5 will last me fine in a day.

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
N5 and M7 owners: how good/bad is your camera? I have a Galaxy S3 and have been very happy with my camera, but I'm getting tired of Sammy's bloatware (which is nowhere as bad on the S3 as it is on the S4 and S5). But the GS3's camera is stellar.

I take a lot of photos wherever I go and have no problem editing them afterwards (so grayed photos and basically anything that PS or Snapseed could fix easily are not an issue), but I'd like something that shoots photos in low-light and has a very quick point-and-shoot rate. Obviously I think the GS5 will still kick HTC and Google out of the water, but was just wondering if you think your phones are good in either of those situations bc I might be willing to settle in that dept.

Posted via Android Central App

el3ctronics

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Quick Poll M8 or N5

Nexus 5.
1) Better camera from what I have seen on the M8.
2) Better software, and faster updates
3) Not as big of a phone, but display is the same size

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Exactly the same response as me. Mostly due to the pathetic (yes, that resolution is pathetic...unable to crop or print is a joke in 2014) camera. I also prefer the size of the N5 but I'd probably have sacrificed size for beauty if not for that pathetic camera.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

I have the N5 and the M7 and rarely use the M7 because the N5 is THAT good. Easy to use one-handed, better display IMO, light years smoother, Google Now baked on in, better pics, though the N5 camera interface stinks, wireless charging, I could go on.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Another factor to consider....Nano vs. Micro Sim. Like many folks on here, I usually have at least 2 devices in my stable at any time and swapping SIMs is really easy since most devices use micro SIMs. The M8 requires a Nano Sim so swapping becomes a PIA. I remember Jerry's article on the topic and all of his admonitions scared me away. HOWEVER, when the iPhone 6 comes out it might be worth the switch to a nano sim for good.

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I had an M7 for about 10 months, then when we switched to T-Mobile from Sprint I got a Nexus 5 because of how awesome everyone said having a Nexus 5 was. I have regretted not just getting another One every day. The only reason I didn't return the Nexus is I knew this phone was coming out and I didn't want to pay the restocking fee just to JUMP a month later. Here's what I miss:

Yes, I miss the metal body. It's nicer to hold and look at than the Nexus. Do I have a case on my phone? Sometimes. But even with a case I would sometimes take it out of the case to just look at it and hold it. I felt it was that nice.

The camera, specifically Zoes and Video Highlight. I have a toddler and those were GREAT and easy to use for taking pictures of an event and uploading the highlight video to YouTube for remote family members. I haven't printed a picture out in years. Why? My phone is my photo album. And Facebook. I live in 2014. My pictures are always with me. If you are a photographer and print pics out, this is not the camera for you. If you want to take cool pics of your kids and upload them to Facebook or show them off at work on your phone? It doesn't get better.

I miss Blinkfeed. When waiting for my morning staff meeting to start I would open it and flick through stories. Easier to set up than Flipboard, too.

Interface flourishes: like being able to edit my quick settings, or tapping a quick setting being the toggle instead of long pressing. Or power saver mode. When I'm out and about I would throw on power saver mode and extend my battery life. And more.

Boomsound. The sound system on the Nexus is week. If the phone was in the bedroom and I'm in the living room, I could hear it with Boomsound. Can't with the Nexus. And the headphone volume is WAY lower when I have it plugged into speakers at the office.

For me, I can't wait to get the new One and get back to a phone that has features but for me.

Your mileage may vary.

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Very interesting, most comments point to preferring the N5, but the poll points to the M8... such a hard decision, it's killing me. Well, if I want the M8 I have to wait two and a half weeks anyways.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
why do you have to wait 2 and a half weeks its avail now on carriers, or are you getting the Dev Edition its the same as ATT price 649.00, Google can keep the GPE for 700.00 will not be avail for 2-3 weeks but the others are avail.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I got an N5 on launch day. It's a solid phone. I'm posting from my M8. Screen is gorgeous. Speakers are out of this world for a phone, and for those of you knocking the camera you obviously haven't played with this one yet. Photos are definitely better than the N5, with way more fun ways to play with them...

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I got an N5 on launch day. It's a solid phone. I'm posting from my M8. Screen is gorgeous. Speakers are out of this world for a phone, and for those of you knocking the camera you obviously haven't played with this one yet. Photos are definitely better than the N5, with way more fun ways to play with them...

Did you keep your N5? If so, how, are you handling the different sim sizes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
somedudegdg